Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 27, 2007, 4:25 PM   #1

hi all

im new to this forum...im hoping you could help me.i have the fujifilm f810 i usualy leave it on auto for taking pics..but everytime i take a pic it turnes out blured even with the slightest of movement...i heard there was a setting in which no mater how much you move the picture will turn out perfect....ive got my sisters weding soon and was hoping to get some good pics...any help would be great....sorry about the way ive wrote this out...im dislexic and i got slaged off on another forum about my spelling and lack of fullstops (sorry)...any help would be great

thanks take care all

tubeway-army is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 5:38 PM   #2

If you could post a blurry picture or two, it might help us figure out why they are blurred. There is no magical setting on any camera that prevents blurring.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 8:11 PM   #3

Wedding, huh?

Depending on the lighting and how close you can get, you may not be able to get sharp photos with that model if you can't use a flash (and stay within it's rated range).

The camera must keep the shutter open long enough to properly expose the image.

How long will depend on the ISO speed (which is how sensitive the camera's sensor is to light), and the Aperture, which is similar to the pupils in your eye.

The camera will open up the aperture iris wider in low light so that your shutter speeds can be faster. But, in very low light (and typical indoor lighting is low light to a camera), your shutter speeds still may not be fast enough to stop all blur from camera shake and blur from subject movement.

There are a few things you can do to help out if flash is not an option.

One is to stay at the wide angle end of the zoom range (don't zoom in any more than absolutely necessary). Your camera has a widest available aperture of f/2.8 at it's widest zoom setting (least apparent magnification). But, as you zoom in more, less light gets through, and the widest available aperture at your camera's maximum telephoto zoom setting is f/5.6.

f/2.8 is 4 times as bright as f/5.6. So, the camera's exposure system can use shutter speeds 4 times as fast for the same lighting and ISO speed if you don't zoom in any. So, I'd get closer and try not to use much optical zoom if possible.

Another thing you can do to help out is increase your ISO speed. Again, that's how sensitive the camera is to light. Each time you double the ISO speed, your camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same aperture and lighting.

The downside of higher ISO speed is increased noise levels (similar to film grain). So you don't want to go any higher than necessary. Your model has an ISO 800 setting. But, it reduces the resolution to 3MP if you use it (to try and mask the appearance of the noise). So, I wouldn't use it unless I had to, and would try to stick with ISO 400 or lower in most lighting conditions (although inside of a church may be a different story). I'd test it in the same lighting you want to take photos in to see what to expect.

You may also want to consider a tripod or monopod. That would help out with any blur from camera shake (although it wouldn't help with blur from subject movement).

Here's an online exposure calculator that can help you understand the relationship between shutter speed, ISO speed (shown as film speed in the calculator) and Aperture.

For existing light shooting indoors without a flash, a DSLR is usually a good idea. These can shoot at higher ISO speeds compared to most non-DSLR models, and also have brighter lenses available (with larger available apertures, which are represented by smaller f/stop numbers).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote