Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1

Hello guys,

I was watching a YouTube clipfor the Canon EOS 30D. Canon had asked some pro to test the 30D. Old clip obviously.

Any how in the clip he mentions he was using a macro lens to shoot some portraits. Why would one use a macro lens for portrait photography? Over a "normal lens" like a 50mm. Or a 85mm tele?

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:44 AM   #2

Why not? Macro lenses, like the Sigma 105 f/2.8 is not only a great macro lens, but a great prime lens as well. Very sharp and with a max aperture of f/2.8, offers a shallower depth of field than, say, f/4.0. and hopefully better resolution than most zooms or kit lenses. Really, though, an aperture of f/1.4 would be better, but as you know, price begins to creep upward as focal length gets longer while aperture gets larger. With many, myself included, it's about compromise. The 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 primes are excellent portrait lenses. Just my opinion... Robert

PS- The macro lens, when used as a portrait lens, serves two masters-macro and portrait, where the non-macro serves to be portrait-only lens...

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 2:19 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Another reason is thata lot of great macros are just about the ideal length for portrait, being somewhere between 60mm (great starting point on a crop camera) to 100 ish mm (great on full frame and OK on 1.3x crop). The reason these are great lengths (in general and I don't want to start a debate on the best length for portrait as most of us will use different ones depending on the look we are going for) that will not overly distort or flatten the model you are working with.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If shooting in a studio you really don't need the f1.2 as most work is done at narrower apertures where lenses are really sharp. Most studio light setups also won't go low enough to allow for really wide apertures anyway so not needed.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:45 AM   #4

Thanks Hawgwild and Mark 1616. I guess I'll be considering a macro 105mm as one of myfirst few lenses when I get my first DSLR.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote