Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 15, 2003, 7:17 AM   #1
Default Newbie requires guidance!

Hi All

I need some advice on what camera to buy, can you help??

I just have an APS at the moment but I am going travelling for a year and I want a digital camera to capture all the things I'll see.
The camera needs to be small, light, tough, with a good zoom, a little weatherproof if possible and not hugely expensive. I know, I've asked for the world and want it to be cheap, but does any such camera exist? I'm not looking for professional quality, just a high enough resolution to take good pictures, I'm thinking 3megapixel but please, advise me if I'm taking a wrong step there.

Has anybody done a similar thing and can offer me advice? I just really want to know my options, I surfed the forum and whilst there's loads of great info I couldn't see what I needed.

Also, I saw an advert the other day for a 4mgeapixel camera, but there was a note in the smallprint that said there were 2.1 effective megapixels, any idea what this means?? I've understood it to mean it's actually no better than a 2.1MP camera but i was concerned to see it advertised as having almost double the number of megapixels, is this something I should watch out for?? Does it mean a 3 megapixel camera wont actually take 3megapixel-quality pictures?

Thanks guys, all help is gratefully received!!!
leefletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:29 PM   #2

The 4mp is probably interpolated which is rare in cameras so I wouldn't worry too much about getting duped into a low mp cam. For a sturdy weatherproof camera, I'd suggest the Olympus stylus 300. It is 3mp and weatherproof so it should hold up pretty well on your trip.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote