Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 4, 2007, 8:44 AM   #1

I recently bought a Canon A710 IS digital camera. I pretty much just use it on Auto and have the image stabilization mode on at all times (continuous). First off, I am pretty much always happy with the results I take. However, in one area I am a little confused.

I was under the impression that the presence of IS would allow me to take pictures in lower light situations without using the flash (this would also allow faster recovery time for the next picture). What I have found though is that actually the only time I get the shaky hands error signal on the camera is exactly when I turn the flash off, resulting in horribly blurred pictures. As a result, I use the flash which gives me an overexposed image, only on things closer to me of course. Again, I have little experience with IS and am asking for any help that could be given to help me understand this.

zzmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:19 AM   #2

What IS does is give you an extra stop or two of shutter speed. What does that mean?

Let's say YOU can hand hold the camera and keep it steady with a shutter speed of 1/60 (you can probably do better than that but 1/60 is easier for my example ).

IS will allow you to hand-hold at 1/30 or maybe 1/15 of a second and not have a blurred image.

However, if a situation is so dark the correct exposure is a full second then you're going to still get camera shake - even with IS.

Also - IS will not stop subject motion - so if you're taking shots of people they tend to move - especially if they're not posing for the shot. So, IS won't do a thing to counteract their movement. So if you take a shot at 1/15 - even if the IS compensates for your movement you may still end up with a blurred subject because they moved.

Hope that made sense.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote