Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Aug 26, 2003, 5:11 AM   #1
Default Help in Deciding on which 5MP camera

Good day, All,

Believe this must have been already discussed before but i would still much appreciate any input to ease my dilemma.

We want to buy a 5MP camera, but cannot decide on which one.
I like to take a lot of potrait pictures (of my wife off course) and she loves to pose as well.

So the most important feature has to be that the camera can deliver excellent quality potraits whether indoors or out doors, which i can enlarge to probably A3 size and print them.

Also the camera has to be portable and affordable.
At the moment i Use a 35mm Cannon EOS300 SLR, but it is bulky and gets left behind often.

After reading the reviews of S50 and DSCV1, i have inferred that althought S50 is more portable but is not great for indoor shots.
Where as with DSC V1 the problems are Low battrey life, inconvienient flash placement, and Sony propriety memory stick.

Also in Hkg an S50 is Costing HK$3450/- while a DSCV1 costs HK$4700/- A difffernce of US$160/-.

Any advice would be much appreciated as i am a total novice to Digital photography.
khawar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:55 AM   #2

I am thinking along simler lines. I reolised that to get best results from a portrait it is best to engage the subject which is hard to do looking through the view finder easier to look a the LCD screen. Even better I am thinking if you could tilt the screen up for ease of viewing while relating to the sitter. So this narrows choise of camera down to the G3 G5 or Nikon 5400. The G3 or G5 looks a better idea with a larger screen. However not sure how good the zoom control is. The Nikon system is like my Sony and easy to use.
Peterac is offline   Reply With Quote