Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 10, 2003, 8:57 AM   #1
Default Need camera suggestion for first time mom

I'm looking for a camera 3 or 4 meg pix that has fast shutter speed, VERY good image quality and color.

What do you suggest?
kk1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2003, 3:47 PM   #2
Default I'll Try

You want a camera that a first-time mom can use to get pics of the kid. Okay. Good picture quality and color is a given. There are a lot of sites with sample photos and you can decide what looks good to you. When I was deciding on a camera I decided that most of the cameras in my price range provided good picture quality and color.

I don't know why you said a fast shutter. Kids really aren't that fast when compared to bicycle racers, birds, or waterfalls. All of the cameras you'll be looking at will have adequate shutter speed.

You might consider whether or not you want a built-in flash. Some do and some don't. If you do, you might want at least a 3X optical zoom so you don't have to flash right in the kid's face.

If you don't want a built-in flash you'll be shooting available light, which is usually pretty good, but you will want to consider how fast the lens is.

But, the most important thing, is that the first-time mom has enough on her hands without having to screw around learning to use a camera. You will want a simple, easy-to-learn and easy-to-use point-and-shoot. After the kid goes to college she'll have time to do other things. You'll also want a camera that's sturdy and handy to have in a purse or pocket. Oh, and one that can survive being puked on.

My sister recently acquired twin granddaughters and I bought her a camera. It's a simple Nikon, does a great job, and is always there while her husbands $1,000 Canon is sitting at home.

Go to the review sites such as this one and DPReview and look at point-and-shoot cameras from the camera companies such as Canon, Nikon, and Olympus. You'l find what you need.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 5:25 PM   #3

If you don't mind me asking, why did you say you needed such a fast shutter and also, if you don't mind me asking, what, if any camera experience do you have. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to figure out a little more specifically what you're looking for.
Also, do you have a price range you'ld like to stay in??

mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote