Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:54 AM   #1
Default Disappointing 4 x 6's

:? I printed several brithday pics on HP Photo Paper Glossy(4xx6) and was very disappointed to see how unclear they are. If you use a film camera and get 4 x 6's from a photo shop, even tho all of the shots aren't acceptable, at least the "good ones" are pretty clear. I use a Nikon 5000 digital camera and the photos looked great on the LCD screen and when enlarged in the computer. I
wonder who would want to print their 4X6's under such conditons? I have a HP Deskjet 970 Cse printer and have been
very happy with the enlargements it creates. Your comments
would be greatly appreciated. Shu
Shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:47 PM   #2

I've got to believe there's some kind of eror in the process.
I would suggest saving the file to a disk and bring it to a local photo processor just to see the results there. I know my locals Sam's club will do a 4x6 from digital for 28 cents. I'v printed pics from a 2mp kodak the looked great.
when you say "enlarged in the computer" do you mean you are cropping them and enlarging them or just viewing at full size?
As for how thay look on your lcd, I'm affraid thats no indication of quality. I've had pics that looked great on the lcd and as soon as I saw them on my computer deleted them.
Tbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 2:16 PM   #3

I agree with Tbel, take your images to a photo lab and compare the results. Your printer will never produce results nearly as good as the one in the photo lab unless you have a dye sublimation photo printer.

I never print my pictures at home because of quality even though my printer (not a photo printer) produces good results with premium photo paper. The ones printed at home, no matter how good, never match what I get from the local Walgreens with their Fuji Frontier mini-lab.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2003, 3:32 PM   #4

Perhaps your ink tank is getting low in the printer? If you've printed decent pictures using the same camera/printer combo in the past, that's about the only thing I can think of. 4X6's should come out fine.
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote