Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:43 PM   #1

I have a Canon 570IS and i'm gonna be going to a hockey game this weekend. What setting on the camera should i use for "sport" or "action" shots? My old Nikon Coolpix had a sport mode.. this has Manual, Av, Tv, Program, etc.. any help would be greatly appreciated!
pbosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2008, 7:02 AM   #2

Sport mode will keep the shutter speed up and increase the ISO if necessary to give higher shutter speeds.

I'd use Tv which is shutter priority and aim for at least 1/250 as the shutter speed to stop the action. Increase the ISO if you need to to keep the shutter speed up.

You could check the exif info on shots taken with the Nikon to see what shutter, aperture and ISO it used.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 7:50 AM   #3

What kind of a hockey game?

As you've already seen, the new camera doesn't have a sports mode. The closest thing is the 'kids' mode. They've changed their marketing - realizing that people shooting sports are buying super zooms and DSLRs.

The reality is though - you'll have a very difficult time taking shots of an actual hockey game. The lens is very short, high ISO performance is poor and the lens isn't bright when zoomed out (5.5).

You'll have a very tough time getting the shutter speed of 1/250 that Ken recommended. More than likely if you shoot in TV and use 1/250 your pictures will come out very dark.

So, here's what I recommend:

1. Put camera in AV mode. Dial in the smallest f-number and leave it there.

1.5 If the camera has exposure compensation, dial in +2/3 when shooting action on the ice (the camera will underexpose because of the white on the ice).

2. Put camera in continuous shooting mode (you'll have to look in the manual for how to set these things).

3. Set ISO to 400 if you want somewhat clean images but there will be a lot of motion blur. ISO 800 will be fairly noisy but it will get you faster shutter speeds. ISO 1600 is pretty much useless. If it's a pro arena, At ISO 400 you'll likely get only 1/60 or so. At 800 you'll be up around 1/125 I would guess.

4. Take lots of shots.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:38 AM   #4

John makes some good points.

A problem with assumptions. When I think of hockey I think of the field sport played outdoors. Here in the UK today on a not to bright day I can get between 1/125 and 1/250 at F5.6 at ISO 400.

Indoors at an ice rink would be a very different story.

Ken

Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:55 AM   #5

wow - good point about assumptions. I saw 'hockey' and assumed ice hockey :G
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:24 AM   #6

I think you are probably right but the OP has no location showing. hockey game suggests North America to me we Brits would be more likely to say hockey match.:-)
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:20 PM   #7

sorry it's ice hockey (NHL game) that im going to this weekend.. i will be right down at ice level. i will give the tips a shot.. hope to get some good action shots!!
pbosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 4:46 AM   #8
Super Moderator

You have good advice here and being NHL you will have pretty good lighting so there is a chance of the 1/125th. One thing not mentioned (although intimated), is to pan smoothly. When using continuous shot keep the subject in the same part of the frame. By doing this even with the slower than desired shutter speed you will be reducing how much your subject is moving around the frame so the major parts will be frozen and you might get motion blur only in the stick, arms and legs. This can actually give a nice effect.

As for assumptions, I had the same thing with a guy from Canada going into my recent Hockey post in the sports/action section thinking it was Ice Hockey, it wasn't what he expected but still left a nice comment!

I hope you have a good time and post some shots to let us see how you got on.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote