Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 18, 2003, 1:18 PM   #1
Default First Digicam....

I am about to purchase my first digital camera (I have been waiting until they are good enough). I have been looking at getting the Minolta F300. Before I buy it I wondered if anyone knew of a better camera for the price range (300ish Sterling). I also looked at the Sony DSC-P10 but it did not look as good to me.

Thanks for any help.
ralphuk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2003, 1:33 PM   #2

I was also wondering what I need to charge the lithium battery for the Minolta F300...it comes with one of these but no AC lead that I can see...

Old Sep 19, 2003, 2:04 PM   #3

In a pocketable size camera, you may also want to consider the new Konica Revio KD-510z (not the old Konica KD-500z).

The newer model is a complete overhaul of the firmware/feature set, and now includes user adjustable ISO speed (50, 100, 200,400), adjustable contrast, saturation, sharpness, color (red, green and blue channels), manual exposure (aperture/shutter speed), longer exposures (up to 15 seconds), noise reduction on exposures 1/2 second or longer, and more.

I looked at lots of pocketable cameras, including the Sony DSC-P10, Olympus Stylus 400, Canon S400, Minolta F300, and more.

I actually bought the Sony DSC-P10, but was not satisified with it's metering and color, so I returned it. I bought a Japanese Model of the KD-510z (since it was not shipping here yet), and I've been very pleased with it.

This camera was recently introduced in the U.S. as the Minolta DiMAGE G500 too (identical, except for the Minolta logo).

The F300 is a very nice camera, but I decided against it, due to it's very slow startup time (approx. 5 seconds) and slow zoom speed.

The Konica's rapid 1.3 second startup time is great -- making it ready to take a photo "on a moments notice".

The Konica KD-510z should hit the shelves in the Europe within the next week or so. It's being sold strictly in Asia now.

The Minolta G500 (to the best of my knowledge) is only shipping in the U.S. now.

Both cameras (which are identical, except for the difference in the logo) should eventually hit all markets.

You can see my opinion of the Sony DSC-P10 here:

You can see my opinion of the new Konica KD-510z here:

Some photos from my new camera are here:

In a 4 Megapixel "Pocketable Camera", I think the Canon S400 is currently the best choice available, and has plenty of resolution for most users.

Personally, I wanted the extra detail from the 5 Megapixel CCD of the Konica, but for most users, the difference would be negligible.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 2:14 PM   #4

a VERY useful reply. Thanks a lot! I shall see if I can check out the new Konica somewhere when it comes to Britain