Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 19, 2008, 3:30 PM   #1

As a joint Christmas and Birthday present, I bought my daughter a Nikon D40x package which came with 2 lenses (both standard Nikon lenses, one 18-55mm and one 55mm-200mm -she said y'all should undertsand what I mean by that) from a local store that had an offer on.

She uses both lenses, but clearly can't use both at the same time. Given that, is there an appropriate way to store them? Clearly you don't want them in extremes of heat, cold or damp, and we decided you don't want them necessarily in direct sunlight, so she keeps them in this little bag (with a sachet of drying agent) in their original boxes when she isn't using one, or another, or both. Is there anything else she could be doing?

Incidentally, we decided that it probably wasn't a good idea to keep the lens attached to the body when she's not using it. Were we right?

Finally, part of me thinks she's scared ofsomething going wrongthem (given how much they cost), is there anything she can do to look after them?
JimBowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:29 PM   #2

Dust is the dirtly little secret of dSLRs. With a chemical SLR the dust is moved off as the film is advanced spoiling only one image. With a digital SLR the dust stays there spoiling every image from then until something is done about it. The best thing to do about it is to not have it get on the sensor in the first place.

So - keep a lens on the camera. If nothing else it acts as a plug to keep dust out. And a lens is a better dust block than any plastic body plug I have seen. That also means the camera is ready for use.

Make sure you have a rear cap on the lens that is not on the camera. That will keep dust off the back of the lens that is not on the camera so it won't transfered when the lens is mounted.

Lens caps are a very good idea - they keep the peanut butter off.

For general handling - treat the lenses the same way you treat the camera body. Avoid dropping, rain, condensation, curious four year olds, ...
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:39 PM   #3

Good stuff from Bill! I'd just like to suggest getting one (or a few, if the storage area is large enough to warrant it) of those reusable packs of silica crystals that soak water out of the air if the camera is stored for long periods in a small enclosed area such as a drawer, box or camera bag. This will help inhibit fungus and mold growth by lowering the humidity around the camera.

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:07 PM   #4

The only thing I would add, is, if you are very fussy, to store the lenses vertically for long term storage. It is remotely possible for lubricants to run onto the lens surfaces under some conditions, and the internal lens elements are not readily accessible for cleaning.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:19 AM   #5

My camera body always has one lens mountedand the lens cap on. My other lens is always inmy camera bag with the lens cap and end cover on it. I never know what lens I'll want to use when out for a day of picture taking, and I usually use both,so I always have both with me. Plus I want my second lens accessible and mountable as quickly as possible.

Lots of folks also use clear UV filters to protect the business end of lenses from scratches. I don't normally do that because I use different filters for different photo opportunities and don't want to have to remove the UV every time. I do leave the last filter used on the lens though so that still protects the glass. I also always have the lens cap on unless I'm taking pics.

Like other's have mentioned, moisture and physical damageare the biggest threats for lenses. Avoid those and you shouldn't have any problems. Dust is a big problem for image quality so avoid that also.

erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote