Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 22, 2003, 6:35 AM   #1
Default Moving from an Olympus OM-1 to a Digital Camera...

Hi guys,

For years now I've been using my trusty Olympus OM-1.
It's big -- although was one of the first "compact" 35mm -- very heavy and I simply love it, but it's time for a change...

The first thing I noticed when looking for a new digicam is that they are soooo small! How on earth do you get used to that

Well, manual control is quite important and should be present, at least to some degree. Good image quality, a must. I'm not looking for a point and shoot but if it would have this capability then great.

About 3M or 4M... Doubt there would be a need for 4M, perhaps not even for 3M. Maybe 2M is enough?

Now, this camera doesn't need to be one of the latest model, it can even be "out of production" as long as it's a good camera.

Thanks for any ideas!

JohnGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2003, 7:49 AM   #2
Default Try to find an...

Olympus C2100-UZI if you can! I had one for several years & took many great images with it that printed out great 8x10's (including below). Take a look at Steves & the dpreview write-ups on it. It's a 2.1mp camera with full controls available, a 10X optical 38-380mm Image Stabilized lens and uses rechargable AA batteries. Great camera, not too small but due to it's cult following, may be hard to find used (but worth it if you do).

Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:54 PM   #3

Unless you need prints larger than 8x10, you'll love the UZI!
It has the same look and feel as your Oly SLR, has a built in 38-380mm enclosed lens, stabilized zoom gives you about +2 f stops in lower lighting and long zoom, and it has a built in autofocus assist lamp for low or no light shots. It has a larger LCD viewfinder than the 750, and a class A refurb only runs about $360. It was my direct replacement for a Contax 139 Quartz SLR, and although the 2.8 lens isn't as fast as the 1.4 Zeiss I had, the pics are as sharp and clear as I had become accustomed. As you know, Olympus cameras are well known for producing properly exposed pics. Either camera is a great choice, and there are a few times when it would be nice to have 4MP, but I thought I would point out some of the features that are lacking on the 750.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote