Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 17, 2008, 9:46 AM   #1

I am a total newbie when it comes to higher end digital cameras with all the buttons and settings and so on...

So I am totally lost right now and am in need of some major help!

I got a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D from my husband's boss...he was going to sell on Ebay but my husband got it for me instead for our Anniversary gift,

I have a two year old son and so I am trying to take pictures of him...a subject that never sits still...

ALL the pictures have this motion blur to them...not a "my hand shaking" thing...but his movement is being captured as blur...

Nate's boss told me to change the ISO to between 100-300...I put it on 100 but it does it...I put it on Auto and it does it....I put it on the highest number and it does it...is this really the setting to mess with for this problem???

What can I do...please someone help me since I am clueless and in need of some help...I love the camera so far...and got a TON of things such as 2 extra lenses and stuff with it...but if I cant figure this out...it all will be no good to me!

Thanks so much,
sheasley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2008, 9:53 AM   #2

The higher the ISO speed, the faster your shutter speeds will be.

I often shoot at ISO 1600 or even ISO 3200 indoors if not using a flash.

But, you'll also need to use a bright lens to get away with that if you don't want any motion blur (forget the 18-70mm kit lens, which is down to f/5.6 if you zoom in much with it).

I'm assuming you probably have the kit lens. If you really want to try getting away with shooting indoors without a flash, set your ISO speed higher, and try not to zoom in any (otherwise, the lens will lose too much light). But, even at it's widest aperture setting (f/3.5, which is only available at the wide angle end of the zoom range), you may find that ISO 1600 or ISO 3200 is not fast enough for some home interiors (especially at night) if your subject is moving any.

If you want to try shooting without a flash, you'll need a bright lens... I'd suggest something like a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for use in closer quarters. It's going to be 16 times as bright as the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens by the time you zoom in much, allowing shutter speeds 16 times as fast for the same lighting and ISO speed. But, depth of field (how much of the image is in focus as you get further away from your focus point is going to be relatively shallow. So, you may not be able to use it with the aperture wide open, depending on the shot.

The easy way...

Use a flash indoors for moving subjects. ;-) At lower ISO speeds settings with a dimmer lens, the flash is going to freeze the action (because the subject will only be exposed properly during the short flash burst since not enough room light will contribute to see any movement, and because the flash burst length is usually around 1/1000 second or faster).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 10:06 AM   #3

IOW, just leave the camera on Auto if that's what you're comfortable with and raise the camera's built in flash.

If you want more even lighting, get an external flash like the Sony HVL-36AM or Sony HVL-56AM (both are compatible with your 5D).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 10:10 AM   #4

What JimC said.

And to add to that, I use my 5D for some of the same kinds of shots you want.

These are large, so you'll have to wait to see them, buttake a look at:

Capturing speed is going to be tough. I haven't likedsetting the ISO above 800. I also don't like flash. That leaves me with fast lenses as the only option. I use a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 (~$90 used) and a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (~$450 new) and have been pleased with the results.

I suggest that, before you spend a lot of money on lenses and/or flashes, you buy a used 50mm f/1.7 for less that $100, and see if that will get you close to what you want. If it does, then shop around for a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (~$450), Sigma 28mm f/1.8 (~$270)or a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (~$450.) If not, then shop around for a flash (~$200-$300.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote