Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 25, 2008, 3:15 PM   #1

Ok, so I have this focusing problem and its driving me nuts. I have the Nikon D80. I have aimed andI am focused and take the shot and darnedif the thing doesnt keep readjusting the shot. It makes it hazy and I have to readjust it again, meanwhile I have lost the shot. It doesnt matter whether I am in the Auto, the floral, or the moving mode, it readjusts the shot and I can't figure what I am doing wrong for it to do that. Anyone have any suggestions?

photochik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2008, 9:39 PM   #2

The D80 has 11 auto focus areas which can be seen through the viewfinder. It could be that you have activated a series of these areas that do not accurately correspond with how you are framing your subjects in the viewfinder, thus causing the camera to focus mostly on things that you don't want.

You might want to take the camera out of continuous focus mode, too. Then it should focus only when you depress the shutter release. But, if you have a situation like I mentioned in the first paragraph, it still might focus on stuff you don't see as your subject.

This might help. It's a video that shows you how to configure your focus options:

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 7:50 AM   #3

Since you mention the Floral mode, I would guess that you are having trouble with close ups of flowers. If this is the case there are a couple things which could be the source of your trouble.

First, as Grant has mentioned, is that the autofocus could be picking something other than what you intend as the focal point. Setting the autofocus to a fixed point and in single-shot mode would help here.

Second, taking close-ups is very similar to using a long telephoto for longer shots, in that camera shake can become very prominent. (because you are magnifying the subject, the camera movement is also magnified)If you are moving as you take the picture, the autofocus may, again, lock onto a different point. Using a tripod or camera rest can be the solution to this, as can higher shutter speeds.

If we haven't helped, let us know, with a bit more detail on your subject matter and shooting conditions, and we'll be happy to try again.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 8:54 AM   #4

To add a little to VT's post, at close distances, depth of field becomes smaller too. Very slight changes in camera to subject distance, can result in changing focus. A tripod is really a must for this type of shooting.

As was said before other options to lock focus would be switching to single focus mode, or pressing the AE/AF button to lock focus.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 1:08 PM   #5

Sheesh you all are so smart its scarey... first of all, I have a condition that is like Parkinsons, where my hands shake sometimes so badly that I am just hoping the camera is snagging the picture correctly....I never thought about that....second...I like to take a lot of action shots...I just love catching that perfect second in time, (however I love taking that lovingly beautiful shot also) I can't tell you how much practicing I have done to get the perfect foreground shot and that perfect shot that catches what is in the background, maybe even better than what is in the foreground..I have a tripod and you know, I just haven't wanted to use it much because it says to me "stationary" I think...I am pulling it out though and thank you all so much for your input, I am definitely taking all ofyour advice...Stone
photochik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2008, 6:02 AM   #6

As a side thougt you may want to consider getting a monopod as opposed

to a "stationary" tripod. I'm an upper extremity amputee and my picture

sharpness improved greatly with the use of a monopod. They are fairly

mobile and easy to handle. Just a thought.
DaveH is offline   Reply With Quote