Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 2, 2003, 5:47 AM   #1
Default New camera advice

Hi, im not a total newbie (got first digital camera about a year ago) but i dont know that much about photography.

I have found that i am using the camera an awfull lot now and i am thinking of updating to a better camera that will suit my needs better.

I am mostly taking motorsport/car show pics at the moment, so i a camera that has a decent zoom (preferrably 6x or more), good quick shutter speed and preferrably not much delay between pressing the button and the camera taking the picture.

I would also like to have the option of adding an external flash as most car shows here are held in poor lit buildings or at nite.

I have used SLR cameras in the past so i would like somethign of a similar look and feel (but not the cost) to that if possible. Used a mates Cannon 10D recently and was very impressed with the pics it produced.

Have been looking at something like the Fuji S602, but i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on similar spec/price cameras that would suit me.

Zordey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2003, 12:17 PM   #2

If you don't want to go to the expense of a Digital SLR like the Canon EOS-10D, or the new lower cost EOS-300D/Digital Rebel (which uses the same sensor as the 10D), you may want to look at a camera like the Sony DSC-F717, too.

The Sony DSC-F717 has a lens that is better suited for lower light photography. It's 38-190mm (5x) Optical Zoom lens is rated at F2.0 at wide angle, stopping down to only F2.4 at full zoom.

This is much brighter than most cameras. F2.0 is twice as bright as F2.8, allowing faster shutter speeds compared to competing models in low light -- especially at it's maximum zoom compared to others.

The DSC-F717 has a hot shoe which supports Sony's HVL-F1000 flash unit with a direct synch connection as well as other third party flash units.

It is also capable of resolving more detail on the resolution charts than other cameras in it's class, with lower noise, too.

See Phil Askey's review at dpreview.com for more info and tests from this model:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:26 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, that looks good but it is a bit out of my price range still at the moment. Ill mybe wait till after christmas and see if i can get a good deal on something, mybe even a SLR type, in a sale.

Would gettin a second hand Digital SLR be better in the long run than a new ordinary type? My dad has a old Filim SLR that he never uses so i mite be able to swipe lenses and stuff from him. (i presume they use the same lenses??)
Zordey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2003, 2:13 PM   #4

If the lenses are fairly current and compatible they should work. Post the make and lens designations on the appropriate board and someone could probably give you specific information.

If I were you I would borrow the 35mm SLR and buy a film scanner if the lenses arenít compatible with a DLSR. In the US you can pick up a Minolta Scan Dual III film scanner for $270 delivered. I know things are pricier where you are but so are the cameras. When you can afford a decent digital camera you can transition.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote