Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 3, 2003, 6:30 PM   #1
Default Please help me choose a new camera - Sony or Canon?

Hi. I am new to this forum and really need some advice.

I recently purchased a Sony DSC P72 digital camera. I returned it a couple days later and exchanged it for a Sony DSC P8. The reason was because I'm using the camera mainly to take pics of my 6 month old daughter. The response time from when I pushed the button to take the picture and when the picture actually was taken was too slow. My daughter had already stopped smiling, etc. by the time the picture took. I was told that the processor in the P8 is faster, so I swapped it and paid the extra $$$. It seems a little faster (although still not as fast as I'd like), but there's some sort of light that comes on when it's focusing and now I have a bunch of pics of my daughter w/her eyes closed because the pics are still not taken as I push the button...there's a delay.

I was told that the Canon A70 is faster. Is this true?

If possible I'd really like to stick w/Sony because I have a Vaio computer & Sony camcorder that uses Memory Stick too & it seems nice to have everything compatible/interchangeable.

However, that said, I need a camera that will take the picture of what I'm trying to take a picture of - not take it a couple seconds later. I'd like to have at least 3 megapixels because I was told I'd be able to blow it up to 5x7 or 8x10. Thanks!
AU chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2003, 1:13 AM   #2

This isn't a timed experiment or an expert opinion but just pointing my a70 at the computer I can consistantlly get a shot off in a second. there is a delay for the camera to focus as is expected but it seems pretty decent (much faster than my a40). I tried shoting it under the keyboard drawer so it had less light and it still did pretty good.
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:04 PM   #3

Don't know anything about the Sony camera but the Canon A70 is an amazing lil package.It has a great automatic mode and if you want later...manual controls.
Are you aware however that all digital cameras have a little pause before the picture is taken? You must push the shutter half way down...wait for the camera to focus then snap away.
This may seem annoying at first but you'll get used to it.
I think the salesperson "upgraded" you but for the wrong reason..just trying to make an extra buck.
If i were you I'd take the camera back and go to another store and buy the Canon A70.
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote