Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:23 AM   #1
Default First Digital Camera Help

I have studied many reviews and questioned the purpose of my families first digital camera leading me up to this post. My wife and I need zoom capability to capture our two sons playing soccer and a general purpose snapshot / school functions type of camera. Price target is around $500. We have read about two that seem to fit - Toshiba M700 and Fuji S5000. The negative about both seem to be low light photos (not an issue on the soccer field). The positives seem to be easy to use for all and the option to increase the 10X zoom with additional lens (if I am reading the reviews correctly). We are moving up from a very basic 35MM we have had for years. Am I missing others to research or not taking into consideration important points? Thanks in advance.
slssah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:36 AM   #2

You are correct that the cameras you mentioned will not perform at their best in low light conditions. Both will make great outdoor cameras. Panasonic is releasing a new 12x zoom that is suppose to perform well at all zoom levels. Go to the Breaking news link and read about the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:47 AM   #3

Hey, dont know if it matter much but the M700 can be bought for 320.00. That swayed me, added a 256mb card. total 400 bw
brettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:07 PM   #4

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but I just got me the M700 with a 256 card for about $450. I've take a few shots at the band day in town. http://www.geocities.com/nobunaga_2000/photopage.html Sorry if the page loads a little slow, I didn't shrink the pictures and I havn't been able to play with it long, I set the page up show some pictures. If you want to see them full size, just download the image onto you computer. Hope this helps.
nobunaga is offline   Reply With Quote