Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 29, 2002, 7:08 AM   #1
Default RF. Safe?

I recently have been looking into getting my first digicam. Unfortunatly i dont have a large amount of money to spend. The top two cameras i am looking at are Sony DSC-F707 and Olympus C-3040. These both are pretty expensive as i am concered. So i recently started to look at the links on nextag.com among other sites and saw that rf cameras are alot less expensive. I was just wondering if it was safe to buy a rf camera and if so what stores are the best. Thanks for your time.
TheRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2002, 6:55 PM   #2

rf? as in Refurbished?

Any time you go that route it is a huge risk IMO. In some instances when the item is returned they don't do anything at all as far as checking out the unit and fixing the fault...they just send it back out again as long as it turns on.

Spending a chunk of cash on something you may want, but don't use that often is hard at times, but you are far better off saving and waiting until you find a new camera you want.

If you are going to toss down $200-500+ for a point and shoot digital camera and are tempted to save the 10-40% on a rf camera it is really a crap shoot.

There is always the chance the camera works well and you got a great deal, but I would bet on the opposite where it either does not work right at all and no one is going to help, including the manufacturer or it works ok and then breaks in less than a year.

It's worth the additional cost, just to have the camera covered for a year, beat on it and get some good pics, and it may very well last you for many years to come.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 5:41 AM   #3

I have had good luck with Olympus new and refurb both. If the camera is a current model and the warrenty provider is not the manufacter might be gray market. The 1st 30 days camera goes back to where it was purchasd, then they return to Olympus, then it becomes a refurb. 2-12 months you send your camera to Olympus and get the same one back. This would mean most refurbs fall in the 30 day time frame. Olympus has an online store at their site. All digicams are listed in the refurb section, with refurb stated after model. 2 nice ones without refurb listed are the
C-2040 $315, E-100 RS $499. All cams, refurb and closeouts carry full warrenty when bought from them. Also when using searches for best price make sure there is a merchant rating system. C/NET uses 1-3 stars, beware of anything less than max. Takes a bunch of pissed off people to lower a rating, Tatum Electronics got me for $800 6 years ago. Think the FBI got them, I was one of many hundred.
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2002, 9:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appriciated. BTW. Does anyone know if www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com is any good. They are selling the Olympus C-3040 Digital Camera for $560.00. They also claim #1 Rated Internet Electronics Retailer on the Internet.

98% on-time delivery
Authorized retailer for all products
No gray market merchandise
Highly rated customer service
Established in 1982

Also they are bizrate.com customer certified and rated very high on resellerratings.com. I am thinking about buying from them or going to a store i know and asking if they could match the price. Thanks again.
TheRock is offline   Reply With Quote