Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:01 AM   #1
Default good beginners book

my wife has an exceptional eye when it comes to snapping shots, and would like to get into photography more than just point and shoot auto mode which is what she does now.

can anyone reccomend a good site and/or book that explains all the basics like shutter speed, apeture, metering etc and the effect that different settings have on the final shot? she's had some limited experience with this stuff back in a class in high school on a pentax B&W SLR, but that's been years ago. . . . at least it helps her in being familarized with the terms though.

we have one point and shoot camera DX4330 by kodak which we like a lot and get some nice shots from (though we have to tweak them just a bit in paint shop pro 8 ) and a Nikon Pronea S SLR camera with the standard lens and a 100-300 zoom lens (so at least she has a camera that will go in manual mode)

any advice?
AidansDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:27 AM   #2

http://www.photocourse.com (scroll to the bottom and there's a link to "the old site" which is a free online book on the basics of digital photography which go way beyond AUTO mode...you don't need to sign up or anything; they also have books for sale that cover these same basics dedicated for various camera models.)
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 7:14 AM   #3

Hi aidan's dad

Here is my suggestion for you and your wife:

The Art of Adventure Photography by Galen Rowell.

Though this book is several years old, its late author was a world renowned outdoor photographer. It is a wonderful blend of how to improve one's "eye" for taking photographs with a solid base
in technique and equipment.

It also has many, absolutely breathtaking photos for pure

You can read more about Galen Rowell (and Barbara, his late wife, also a renowned photographer) at:

You can buy the book used for less than ten dollars used at Amazon.com here:

In the interest of full disclosure, I disclose that I am a BIG fan of his photographs
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote