Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:50 AM   #1

Looking for suggestions for the best non user manual book for the XSi - any suggestions are most welcome!
camconcay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:06 PM   #2

For some reason people hate this answer but I give it anyway:

Get some photography books. "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is a good starter. The reality is there isn't a lot on a DSLR you need to change - really there isn't. The same controls are on virtually every DSLR - at the basic level. The real challenge is learning the principles of photography. Those principles are completely independent of the particular camera. An experienced photographer that knows what they're doing should be able to pick up any DSLR on the market and inside of 15 minutes with the manual be able to do 90% of what they need to do.

Exposure is exposure, depth of field is depth of field, etc.

I keep equating this to learning how to drive. You don't take a different course to learn how to drive a Toyota than you do for driving a Chevy. And there's a good reason why photography courses aren't gear specific - the local college doesn't have a "shooting with Canon DSLR" course and a "shooting with Nikon DSLR" course.

Even getting some books from the library on photography. Once you learn the basics of exposure, there are some great 'understanding' articles on the Luminous Landscape site that are a very good read.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:15 PM   #3

Here's another "angle".

Go out to PBASE and look at the shots that other people are getting using their XSi :

(when you get to this site, hit the "more" link to randomly pick up photos, then click on the photo to look at the detail)

I find a great way to learn photography is to study other people's images.

Ask yourself questions like:

- Why do I like/dislike this image?

- What lens did the photographer use, and at what focal length?

- What aperture, ISO and speed did this photographer use, and why?

By studying other people's photos, you can then look at your own and try to improve them.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote