Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:02 PM   #1
Default need help choosing digicam for dog photography

I'm looking for a digital camera that is very good in low light, and for shooting black dogs clearly..I know, not good odds, but still :-)
I photograph Scottish Terriers..99% of the time infdoors in so so lighting and am looking for a camera to do just that.
I was tentatively looking at the Sony DSC-V1, the DSC 707 and 717, but am open to anything at this point
cjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:25 PM   #2

Are you allowed to use a flash? If so, you might consider getting a camera which has a flash hotshoe.

I can't comment on the cameras you list as I know nothing about them.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:43 PM   #3

I donít think you can do better than the Sony 717 for what you are doing. It will focus in near darkness and has a faster lens than most digicams for good low light capability. It also has a hot shoe for a good flash unit.

If you are doing this professionally and need quality results check whether the 717 can trigger remote flash units. If you want professional looking results you need either good studio lights or multiple flash units. I know the Minolta D7x/A1 has remote flash capability Ė I presume the 717 does as well. If they are snapshots the 717 as is should do OK.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 6:12 AM   #4

I would say; take a look at Fuji S602 it can go upto iso 1600 (in 1 mega pixel mode), very good shutter response (little delay) and I believe a flashhotshoe. The Fuji S7000 is the follow up of this model 6mega Pixels and 3 megapixel iso 800 and 1600 mode.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote