Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 16, 2009, 1:00 PM   #1

I just bought the Canon A590 to replace my Canon A520.

The old Canon A520 had buttons for "slow shutter" (shoot moving objects to make them blurred) and "fast shutter" (shoot fast moving objects).

How do I bring back these items missing on the A590 using the functions of this camera? I realize this camera has the Program AE, TV(Shutter Speed Priority AE), Av(Aperature Priority) and Manual modes.

Also, it has a "Kids & pets" mode.

I am not sure of which mode(s) on the programmable settings to use and then what setting are typical.

Would the "kids & pets" mode be a good way of shooting fast moving objects too??

I know there are many examples of fast moving objects. Three good examples I can think of are: waterfalls-rivers, sports, wildlife.

As I am trying to learn the functions of this camera and the programmables, any help would be appreciated!

Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2009, 1:27 PM   #2

There are really 2 different concepts here:

Fast shutter speeds to freeze motion (applies to all the situations you described)

Continuous focus - focus tracking - applies to kids, pets but not a waterfall. In other words the moving water doesn't require the camera to track the movement.

The kids and pets mode is the best mode to use for subjects that are moving. I don't think that camera provides you the capability to engage servo focus without it (but I could be wrong).

For waterfalls I would suggest using TV mode. You can experiment to see what the waterfall looks like with a 1/250 shutter speed vs 1/60.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:57 AM   #3

The best way to duplicate your old fast shutter is to set the widest aperture available in aperture priority (AV) mode. The widest aperture is the lowest number – f2.6 in wide angle. That widest aperture number will decrease to f5.5 as you zoom, which means that if the camera will give you 1/400 sec at wide it can only give you around 1/100 sec at full telephoto with the same light. Kids and pets will probably do the same thing for you.

Shutter priority (TV) might be the best way to get a specific slow shutter speed, but you can easily exceed the camera capabilities in TV mode. Try putting a full second shutter in TV mode and half press the shutter in bright sunlight. If the aperture goes only to f8, your best bet for slow shutter is also aperture priority with f8. If the aperture goes higher you will do best messing with shutter priority. It isn't unusual for the camera to be able to choose a higher aperture than you can set in AV. I don't see a scene mode that will duplicate your old slow shutter.

If you really need a slow shutter and the camera won't do better than f8, in bright conditions you might need something to reduce the light. The common solution is a neutral density or polarizing filter. Sunglasses work well, but make sure the WB is on auto if your sunglasses aren't a neutral gray.

I have a pair of neutral gray Nikon polarized sunglasses. I use them with my pocket cameras as both a neutral density and polarizing filter. But I've tried other sunglasses and the auto WB usually does a pretty good job.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote