Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:15 AM   #1
Default Fastest and Reliable CF 256mb for my canon s400

can someone give me some advice on which compact flash card is the fastest that works the best with a canon s400.
Visionari3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2003, 7:48 AM   #2

Here is a site where Minolta owners submitted card times using CF cards in Minolta cameras. I suggest you scroll down to the D7i timings for 256 Mb cards as there is a good cluster. The good cards are over 3 times as fast as the slow ones. There are definitely some cards you want to avoid. I would think a card that is fast in a Minolta would probably be fast in a Canon. I wouldn’t quibble over a second as some cards might be a little faster in the Canon, but 3 times the recycle time for Mr Flash and twice as long for Sandisk as examples indicate brands to avoid. http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...rd_speeds.html

Kingston 256Mb cards are good and this seems to be a decent deal with free shipping: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...refer=d3alt1me You might run through Techdeals and Techbargains to check whether someone has a rebate deal.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:45 PM   #3

A few comments.

You don't know if the tests on that page were done well or not. So assume some level of error... 10-20%? Either way, its clear that there is a range of speeds and that is useful

Unfortunately, unless we know the mechanism for writing to the CF is the same between the Minolta and the s400, you probably can't compare them. Cameras, even from the same manufacturer, will write at different rates to the same card.

You probably don't need a card faster than 12x or so. Beyond that, you camera won't take advantage of the speed.

Lexar, Sandisk, Delkin, Ridata, & Viking are good manufacturers. But that doesn't mean that their card will be fast in your camera. Just that they do quality work. If the way the camera writes to the CF fits with the design of the CF card, then it will be fast. If it doesn't, then it won't be as fast as it could be. Yes, this does make picking "the fastest" CF harder than it probably should be

You might want to post the question to the Canon section, and see if someone with that camera will have more info for you.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:59 PM   #4

A good, fast card is Ridata, it's also reasonably priced.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 4:24 PM   #5

thanks for the suggestions
Visionari3s is offline   Reply With Quote