Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:19 AM   #1

I know there are many web sites to upload photos to share for people to view. Are there any where others can download your photos to their computer for free (truely sharing, not just letting others view)?

rpainetfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:58 AM   #2

You should look at ofoto.com and shutterfly

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:03 PM   #3

smugmug also allows you to share original size image files in that manner. It's not a free site but I've been very happy with it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:24 PM   #4

Another site that will allow downloading of full-sized photos is zenfolio.com . It's another site that isn't free, but in the case of photo hosting sites - you get what you pay for. Zenfolio is a little cheaper than smugmug and I've been very happy with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:27 PM   #5

Personally I use smugmug. I like it because the interface looks clean and simple. I also use it as my online backup for my photos that I want to keep.

The thing that I like about it is you have full control over everything. I know you said you want to share your image but you can "lock" your image and they can't do "right click" and save on your image. You can also control the size of the image that people can view or download as well.

Another service that I use is flickr. It is free and has a large community. The free account you are limited to 100mb/month for uploading onto your account. With the free account, the largest size image you can view is 1000x1000. I use flickr as my "fun" account. As I said, it has a great community where you are able to share you image with others.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:54 AM   #6

I use http://www.pbase.com

It's not free, but the prices are reasonable.

Pbase.com gives you a lot of "bang for the buck" (ability to upload multiple images in a single .zip file; customizable album templates; your own forum for each album you create; a guestbook; ability to see small, medium, large or original size images without you needing to create the different sizes; same photos can be in more than one album without taking up more space; compression of images to save space if you want to do that, direct linking to photos, no login required for others to view your photos unless you want to set one, etc.).

Here is their pricing page:

BTW, we have a dedicated Photo-sharing Site Links Forum that you may want to browse through for more ideas.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:41 AM   #7

Google is also now providing the facility to users to upload your pictures and see to other pictures.
That is so good
you can try it.
jeffrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I'm not exactly in love with Flickr, but I prefer it to zenfolio (very ugly interface and expensive), smugmug (extremely ugly interface and expensive) and pbase (unbelievably ugly interface and ridiculously expensive).

None of them do prints outside of the USA so they are all equally rubbish from that perspective.

Smugmug and Flickr have Cooliris support - which is a brilliant interface.

Flickr has much better search and groups.

So Flickr + Cooliris gives a brilliant user interface, good groups and search at a very good price.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:33 AM   #9

I wanted somewhere that didn't insist on people having to sign up to get a photo. I also like some decent security, hide who I am, only give access to certain photos etc.

SmugMug fit the bill. Yeah the interface isn't to everyone's tastes, but when grandparents (2 sets) and great aunts say how easy it is to use, then you know that you're onto a winner

mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote