Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:37 PM   #1

Hi guys,

I am still crazy about aerial pics from a kite (www.cameralift.com), but I am now also looking into visiting people's home to make portraits, as I figured out that old people or parents with new-born babies somehow like the comfort and warmth of their home. That can turn into a good coffee too !

All I now own is a D200 which I at least know well, and a 50mm 1.8

- Is there in this forum any "home photographer" to share any experience ?

- What would you recommend me to purchase or to do to make a good job with a limited budget ? I would like a strict minimum of hardware, to be portable, but also since inside home can be small and I don't want to break any expensive ceramic :-)

Thank you

philgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2009, 9:06 PM   #2

Your 50mm lens should work well for portraits, but you may need something wider to be able to get small groups, such as 4 or 5 generations on a couch or some such. I would suggest 18mm or even less, depending on your finances, etc.

Lighting is another area where you will probably need to do some upgrading. At least an external flash, preferably with wireless capability. A second tripod to mount it on, and something to use as a reflector (umbrella type, or just some foamcore board mounted on a stand) .

You will probably get a list of other things, as well. I think these would count as basics.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote