Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:26 AM   #1

I am confused as to when to use the different modes on my camera. I know what they are for but what if you want to take a photo at a certain aperture for example what is the advantage of using the aperture mode as opposed to the program mode where you can also change the aperture? Shutter speed, aperture, etc. can all be changed in program mode so why would you use the other specific modes such as AV or TV instead?

jvanwees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:42 AM   #2

True. In P Mode, as you change the aperture, the camera adjusts the shutter speed to obtain the proper exposure. In S Mode (or Tv Mode) you adjust the shutter speed and the camera adjusts the aperture to compensate for your changes.

The difference is that all the other settings you change that you might want to use in conjuction withP Mode,that might be different from the settings you mught want to use in A Mode or in S Mode, are preserved as part of that mode.

Auto Mode, on the other hand, resets all the other settings to their default values every time you turn the camera off or change to another mode.

It's just a way for your settings to be preserved from one session to the next.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote