Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 3, 2003, 11:55 AM   #11

Originally Posted by NHL
As to the Reflex where does it says it has to be 'optical'? So technically an EVF based camera can loosely defined as "semi-SLR", theses cameras just bend the light by electronic means (not only it's lighter, but integrate more features in them as well)! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think it is usefull to distinguish between EVFs and SLRs. In different situations, each will have its advantage, but they are very different beasts. If you allow anything that "bends" the light as a SLR, you are likely to be forced into saying that some of the very small cameras that have a mirror in the light path (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_.../dimagext.html) to cut the size of the camera an SLR - which would be jjust plain silly.

This question comes up frequently, with the unstated assumption that SLRs are the best. Often the basis seems to be, "My camera is the best, so I will call it an SLR!"
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 1:53 PM   #12

The Dimage Xt still have two lenses a' la range finder (or point and shoot) so it doen't qualify as a Single Lens Reflex. IE you still look through one, and shoot through another even though it has a mirror along its path...
... But the Z1 does with its silly mirror... hey it bends the light too and with no parallax to boot! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote