Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:01 AM   #1
Default G3 / G5 / V1 / CoolPix 4500 / S50

Hi, I'm a bit new into digital cameras, but I'm planning to get my hands on one of the following to get a "hands-on feel" and learn more about photography:
-Canon Powershot G3
-Canon Powershot G5
-Sony DSC-V1
-Nikon CoolPix 4500
-Canon Powershot S50

I currently own an Olympus C2-Zoom, and I later found out this 2MP doesn't do what i want (no manual override). So I'm now looking for a "semi-pro" like to do take various pictures from macro, to long exposure, to panoramic shots etc.
I went into camera stores, and said I've been eyeing on the Powershot G3, while asking what else they would recommend.

-The s50 was recommended if I wanted a "compact" camera, for parties and etc. However I feel I need more than what s50 has to offer, despite its 5MP.

-The G5 was not recommeded as they told me a G3 would do the job for a cheaper price ( I told them I'm not looking to be a pro - yet).

-The Nikon 4500 was recommended if I really wanted good macro shots.

-Any Olympus (maybe C-740 or C-750) would be good for distance shots with its 10x optical, but most functions are not friendly...

-And the Sony V1 would be to go if I wanted compact camera.

After all that, it mixed my head up and could not decide which is good, although I'm still eyeing on the G3 for its price and adequate functions. Has anyone who has any experience in these cameras, please post your feelings/thoughts about it? I would really like a 2nd or 3rd opinion before spending AUD$1000+ on one.

guild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:54 AM   #2

For what it's worth, I just upgraded from an Olympus D-460 Zoom to a Canon s50 and it's amazing. Many more manual controls than I expected. Small size for a 5mp, feature rich camera. Perfect for a jacket pocket.

Couldn't be happier. Canon's have great in-camera processing, so pic quality is excellent.

i was initially worried about only having a 3x optical zoom, but the 5mp more than makes up for it.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:05 PM   #3

Thanks for your input.

Although 5MP seems kind of over the line for me, I'm more of looking into 3-4MP (as I won't be doing poster shots). The s50, as I was told, offers the same features as a G5, except the bit at the top to mount additional flash or lenses...

The question really bothered me is - Would paying a little bit more to get 1 MP higher and less optical zoom be better than:
Settling with 4MP with a 4x optical zoom (Powershot G3)?

I'll only be using the camera for casual, hobby use, maybe for university projects.
guild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 6:27 PM   #4

V1 ... without doubt.

www.dpreview.com will show you why
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote