Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:58 AM   #1
Default Will Humidity kill my camara?

I will be spending 2.5 years in Bangladesh, and am thinking of the Optio s4. Does anyone know if the rediculous amounts of humidity I expect to encounter will rust out or short circut a digital camara? Should I go for a weather/water resistant camara?
banglabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:52 AM   #2

I cannot say for that area you are planning on, but the conditions in warm rainforests make for a short life in any electronic product. Also will cause fungus/mold growth on and inside lense elements if unprotected.

They should be cleaned and dried out nightly, kept in a airtight container with desicant(sp?) in it if possible.

It is much worse for film cameras and slr's where you have to open them to the elements to make changes.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 3:52 PM   #3

I've never found myself in these environments, but what about the zipper bag idea with the hole cut in and a cheap UV filter bonded in? Dessicant as well. Carry around a tin of dry comressed air to purge it out occasionally - or is this a bit extreme? VOX.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 4:47 PM   #4

You might be more comfortable with a Stylus 400. It isnít as small as a S4, but by the time you put it in a bag with sillica gel you might find the Oly handier.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:45 PM   #5

Rather than go to the trouble of gluing the UV filter into the ziplock bag, why not go with one of these?

(click on camera/camcorder link, then point-n-shoot case halfway down on the right)

at that price... it's not much more than the cost of the filter and a box of baggies... and probably a lot more reliable .

I've been thinking of getting one just to feel better about using my camera on rainy days, or at the beach.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote