Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 8, 2003, 3:18 PM   #1
Default Need to make a choice between nikon 5700 and fuji s7000 help

:? NEED HELP would like to get a didgital camera and getting more confused every time I read a review have come down to nikon 5700 or fuji s7000 would like comments
tyrepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2003, 4:12 PM   #2

You may want to read Jeff's review of the new Fuji. He was not impressed with the image quality from it:

The Nikon gets good marks for image quality. The only major complaint is it's lack of a focus assist lamp. However, I've owned two Nikons (Coolpix 950, 990), and rarely found it to be a problem.

However, each user will have specific requirements.

You may want to read the reviews of the Nikon at http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.imaging-resource.com

Phil Askey (owner/editor of dpreview.com) measures autofocus lag, low light focus ability, etc., for the cameras he reviews (look in the "timing and file sizes" section of the camera's review).

Dave Etchells (owner/editor of imaging-resource.com) also performs similiar tests (look in the "picky details" section of the camera's review).

Out of your two choices, I'd pick the Nikon every time (the image quality from the new Fuji does not appear to live up to expectations -- probably due to the much denser CCD -- too many pixels in too small of an area within the CCD).

However, depending on your needs (type of photos you'll be shooting, lighting conditions, etc.), you may want to expand your list to other models, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 7:31 PM   #3

I just bought the 5700 two weeks past and have not been disappointed with my decision.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 8:35 PM   #4

Here are some albums comparing some of the popular camera choices, that includes photos from several of the "long zoom" cameras, including the Nikon Coolpix 5700, Olympus C-750UZ, HP 850, and even an expensive Canon EOS-10D.

BTW, the Coolpix 5700 also has some unique features (including Nikons "Best Shot Selector"). Nobody else has anything like it.

I've used this feature often with the Nikons I've owned. It allows you to press and hold the shutter button, while the camera takes multiple photos. When you release the shutter button, it automatically saves the sharpest one. This is a fantastic feature for getting the absolute sharpest photos in low light, with slower shutter speeds, without the hassle of a tripod. It probably works by keeping the photo with the largest file size (which indicates more detail). I wish the other manufacturers would implement this feature.

BTW, I think my little Konica KD-510z (Minolta G500) also performed very well compared to the others in this comparison (but my pocketable camera doesn't have the Nikons nice zoom (or the ability to use external flash, external lenses, Nikons nice feature set, etc.

Note the detail captured in the shadows, roof tiles, etc., by the cameras. The Nikon and my little Konica performed great. Note: click on a photo once to get the large size. Then, click on it again to get the original size (very large). Then look at shadow details, roof tiles, etc. The Nikon Coolpix 5700 is a very good camera.

Personally, I'd immediately take the new Fuji off of your list.... It's simply got way too much noise. The larger 2/3" sensor in the Nikon will be a MUCH better performer IMO.

Some photos I took from my little pocket camera are here (under $400.00 from most vendors now):

Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:32 AM   #5
Default Thanks for the help

I had the 5700 as my number one chice but I am concerned that you can not attach a filter to the len. I have found this camera on the web for 599 less a 100 Nikon rebate I thing I will buy it at that price and if I do not like it sell it on ebay and try another camera. Thanks for everyones input
Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:40 AM   #6

Make sure you are not buying it from one of the Brooklyn based "scam artists".

Always be VERY careful about going with the lowest price you see in the price search engines. Often, these lower priced dealers are "scam artists", and will try to force you to buy accessories (like camera cases, spare memory cards, batteries, extended warranties, etc.), at inflated prices. This is because they are sometimes advertising the cameras at, or below their cost, and must find a way to "make up" the difference, so that they can profit on the sale. Watch out for inflated shipping prices too.

When you refuse to buy the add-ons, many of them simply won't ship you the camera -- claiming backorder status, etc.

Another "trick" these super low priced dealers employ, is to sell you a "gray market" camera. This is a camera that was not intended for sale in the U.S. Market. If you buy one of these cameras, you will not be able to get warranty service in the U.S. (the manfuacturers frown upon this practice).

Nikon USA will not honor the Rebate or the Warranty if you get a camera that was intended for Europe, versus the U.S. You must buy it from a Nikon Authorized Dealer.

I don't want to discourage you from finding a dealer with a discount, but do be careful. Read customer feedback about the company in the price search engines. Also, use tools like http://www.resellerratings.com to check and recheck the dealers reputation -- again reading through user feedback about the dealer you are thinking about buying from.

Here's an example of one of these Brooklyn based companies (they also have web sites under other names). Scroll down the page, and read the feedback from customers:

If a price looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Also, use http://www.bizrate.com to be sure -- sometimes a dealer will "pad" their own feedback section -- so make sure it's not a new dealer, and that they have LOTS of good customer feedback.

bizrate.com recently "rerated" many of their vendors, when they suspected that they were "padding" their own feedback.

What happens, is when these scam artists get a bad reputation, they simply start a new company under a different name (totally different look and feel to their web site, etc.). Then, they appear to put in comments from customers, about how great they are (which is why you want to avoid new vendors).

You can't be careful enough. Many of these guys are professional crooks, IMO -- and unfortuntely, they seem to be getting away with it.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:38 AM   #7
Default S7000

I can't criticize the Nikon Coolpix 5700. I am sure that it's a great camera. However, I bought an S7000 and am not disappointed in it. I have had it for about 5 days and taken over 200 pictures. I had an olympus C-2100 and C-730. The 2100 worked really well in low light. The 730 seems to have a slightly faster prefocused lag time. However, the 7000's color rendering seems right on to me. Also, it seems to work much better than the 730 in low light. I took pictures of an NBA game from the cheap seats. The detail in the pictures was incredible to me. From the 3rd level, I could make out spectators' and players' fairly subtle facial expressions. I wasn't bothered by small amount of noise that I detected. Anyway, those are my 2 cents.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:44 AM   #8

The Fujis have a VERY good reputation for color rendention.

But, I really don't like the trend with smaller and more dense CCD's. Personally, I'd rather have a larger, heavier camera, with a less dense CCD (if I were looking at "long zoom" cameras).

However, Robbo is correct. In most cases, the noise from one of these smaller sensors is not going to be noticeable at normal print/viewing sizes.

Also, because of the much higher resolution, the noise grain from these new models is "much finer", and tends to blend in at typical viewing or print sizes. Unless you are specifically looking for it, chances are, you won't notice it in your photos, in most lighting conditions.

That's one of the problems today. Digicams are getting so good, and it's so easy to view images magnified at very large sizes onscreen, that we tend to be overly critical.

Either camera should make a great choice! But, heed my advise about the Brooklyn based "scam artists". If a price looks too good to be true, it probably is. Do yourself a favor, and buy the camera you choose from a reputable dealer.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 4:33 PM   #9
Default Thanks for the heads up

Thanks for the heads up on these NEW YORK guys every time I said I want nother other then the camera it was out of stock. I am still not sure which to buy every time I read more reviews you get more confused Anyone know about the Sony 717?
Thanks again
Old Nov 9, 2003, 6:04 PM   #10

The Sony DSC-F717 is a very highly rated camera. In fact, on the resolution chart tests at http://www.dpreview.com , it can pick up more detail than any other camera using the same 2/3" 5 Megapixel CCD.

Both the Sony DSC-F717, and the Nikon Coolpix 5700 both use the same Sony 5 Megapixel CCD (Sony is one of the largest manufacturers of sensors used in consumer model digital cameras).

Again, there are pros and cons to any choice. The Nikon has some unique modes that are not available on the Sony, and vice-versa.

The Sony has a better low light focus system (laser based hologram focus system), whereas the Nikon does not have any kind of focus assist lamp. So, the Sony is a better indoor camera.

The Sony also has the fastest lens available for it's focal length of any non SLR camera. It's got a very nice lense, rated at F2.0/F2.4.

F2.0 is twice as bright as F2.8 (the lower the number the more light the lens can gather for the same lighting conditions and ISO speed, so the Sony camera is better suited for existing light photography without a flash indoors).

Personally, I prefer the Nikons ergonomics (and feature set) better, but many Sony users really like the their camera.

Another model series using the same Sony 2/3" 5 Megapixel CCD is the Minolta DiMAGE 7, 7i, 7HI cameras. These are very full featured models, with a pretty good focal range (28 - 200mm Zoom). Many users love the "wider" 28mm wide angle, compared to many of the other models, too. The lens quality and feature set on this series is high. The downside, is that the noise reduction is not quite as good as the Nikon or Sony (slightly more noise from the Minoltas).

But, you're unlikely to notice the difference at normal viewing/print sizes (same CCD -- just a little bit different internal processing, compared to the others).

You should really go down to a store and try out the cameras, to see which one "feels right" to you. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, would you?

Check out the ergonomics, control layout, menus, etc. You want to make sure you are comfortable carrying and using any camera you buy.

I'm confident that you can locate any of these cameras at a fair price, from a reputable dealer.

Use resellerratings.com and bizrate.com to check customer feedback for any dealer you consider.

BTW, most of the online dealers use the same distributors anyway (Ingram Micro, Tech Data, etc.). What really happens (from the vast majority of them), is your order is simply passed on to the distributor, then the item is drop shipped (with an invoice, packing slip, etc., showing the online dealers name. So, if one dealer is "really" out of stock, chances are, they all are.

But, the "scam artists" just pretend to be out of stock, unless you're willing to buy the high priced add-ons (or are willing to settle for a grey market camera with no U.S. Warranty).

Ditto for returns. In most cases, when you return an item, it's really going back to the distributor with the vast majority of online dealers. The exception to the rule is some of the larger "brick and morter" dealers -- where they may really stock their own products, in their own warehouses (most online dealers don't).

Which brings up another point. You may want to check out your dealer's return policies. Some dealers have VERY high restocking fees. Other dealers have very liberal return policies.

For example: I bought a Sony DSC-P10 from Dell. They have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. I decided I didn't like the camera, so I was able to return it for a full refund with no restocking fees (except for shipping costs). BTW, the camera return address matched up to one of the Ingram Micro Warehouse locations (so even a company as large as Dell, is just using a distributor to drop ship items -- they don't really "stock" the cameras).

Other dealers may have a 15 or 20% restocking fee (if they even allow returns).

Ritz has a 10 day return policy (but no "shrink wrapped" software can be opened). Make sure to check any restrictions on returns and exchanges when you buy.

The lowest price "reputable" dealer that I'd recommend would be buydig.com

They drop ship (like most), and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. They won't update you on ship times, etc., until the items actually ship. However, they are not "scam artists", like some of the Brooklyn based dealers.

Here's the Nikon 5700 on their site (about $100.00 higher than you found it, but probably about the least expensive price you'll see, from a dealer that's not trying to scam you).

They're also known as Beach Camera:

bizrate.com rating for beachcamera.com:

bizrate.com rating for buydig.com

resellerratings.com rating for beachcamera.com:

resellerratings.com rating for buydig.com:

Again, don't expect responses to e-mail queries, etc., about ship times from these guys. They are weak in the customer service area (which is one of the reasons their prices are lower). However, they won't pretend that you filled out something wrong, then call you and try to sell you inflated price add-ons (or pretend that a camera is out of stock when you don't want to buy the higher priced items). They will immediately pass your order on to the distributor, and will e-mail you with a tracking number when it ships.

For the best customer service, stick with one of the "brick and morter" dealers (B&H Photo and Video, Ritz Camera and Video, Best Buy, etc.).

Note that these less expensive dealers also have restocking fees, with restrictions on returns:

Note that the addresses are the same (same company, doing business under more than one name). This is a common practice, only some are scammers, and some are not. These guys are not (but customer service, return policies, etc., aren't going to be as good as some of the more expensive dealers).

So, there are pros and cons to a dealer choice, too. You can't expect to get the same level of customer service (or return policies that are as liberal) from a dealer that's barely making a profit on an item. That's why they can sell them at heavily discounted prices.

One last comment. You'll find a price search engine on this site (on the first page of each review -- scroll down until you see it).

If you use it, Steve's Digicams will get a small credit for the sale (and your price won't be any different). You'll still find the same dealers (including buydig, beach, ritz, etc.), and the same prices using the price search engines here. This helps to support this web site.