Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:17 PM   #1
Default Leveling Photos

Sorry is this is a dumb question. I just returned from a fishing trip and I took some pics that would be great except a few are not level. The boat was rocking as I was taking the pic. I use Photoshop Elements, is there a way of "leveling" the pic?
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2009, 7:34 PM   #2

In PSE, on the Image Menu, on the Rotate submenu, there are numerous options for rotating an image. Keep in mind that rotating an image will compromise sharpness and image quality in the edges and especially in the corners, so if there's a lot of detail there that you want to preserve, you might want to skip straightening.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:07 PM   #3

I Have Elements 4.0, and there is another way to straighten the horizon. I just copied and pasted it from the "help" section.

To straighten an image
In the Editor, select the Straighten tool .
Grow Canvas To Fit Resizes the canvas to fit the rotated image. Straightening causes corners of the image to fall outside of the current canvas. The straightened image will contain areas of blank background, but no pixels are clipped.
Crop To Remove Background Crops the image to remove any blank background area that become visible after straightening. Some pixels will be clipped.
Crop To Original Size Keeps the canvas the same size as the original image. The straightened image will include areas of blank background and some pixels will be clipped.
Straightening and cropping to remove the background
Do one of the following to straighten the image:
To align horizontally, draw a line in the image to represent the new straight horizontal edge.
To align vertically, hold down Ctrl and draw a line to represent the new straight vertical edge.

Don't be afraid to experiment, you can always click Edit, then Revert to undo anything you don't like. That will take you all the way back to the original pic.

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote