Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 13, 2003, 8:49 AM   #1
Default Canon G3 vs. S50 vs. A80

Which one do you consider to have the best Quality/ Price Ratio? (taking in consideration the standard bundle)

Thank you
rmihai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2003, 12:42 PM   #2

I'd compare the S45 versus the S50...

For one thing, the lens seems better suited to the 4MP sensor in the S45. The same thing also applied to the new G5 (for example: the G3 has less chromatic aberrations and noise).

You may want to read the reviews at http://www.dpreview.com to get a better perspective on the differences between these models.

Your individual needs will impact which one is the best for you, based on the shooting conditions you'll be using a camera in.

For example: the G3 has a much faster lens, better suited for available light photography. It's F2.0/F3.0 is twice as bright at Full Wide Angle compared to the other models. When using Zoom, the difference is even greater.

Also, look at available accessories. The G3 is more versatile. The S50 is the least versatile.

Each user will need to decide which features are more important to them, for the shooting conditions they'll be using a camera in.

For example: my latest camera is the Konica Revio KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta DiMAGE G500). For my needs, it's fine. I wanted a pocketable camera.

For others, it may not be well suited, because it's lens is rated at F2.8/F4.9 -- nowhere near as fast as a camera like the G3.

I also can't use external lenses, filters, etc., and it's zoom range is limited. Ditto for the use of an external flash -- no provisions built into this model....

Think about the shooting conditions you'll be using a camera in more often. Then look at lens zoom range, light gathering capability of the lens, user control of image processing parameters you'll use more often, ability to use add-on lenses and accessories, etc.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote