Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Default Help on sandisk compact flash reader =(

Hello everyone, help?

here's my problem:
i have this sandisk imagemate dual smartmedia and complate usb reader

been using it for a while now and works perfectly with my 128MB compact flash card, recently i got a new camera canon g5 and a new 256 sandisk compact flash card, the reader won't read this card
if i reformat the card in the reader no problems once the camera writes pictures to this card my reader can't read the card the green light is on (meaning it's inserted properly) but when i try to open the folder it's says please insert disk (meaning the memory's not in there)

thanks in advance

goiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 4:12 AM   #2

Hi Raymond...

Sorry about your problem with the reader and new card.

Could you please give a little more information...

1. Operating system of your computer?
2. Brand of PC?
3. Laptop or Desktop?
4. Brand of your new card?

Also, have you tried to read other brands of cards in your camera and your reader?

FYI...I have desktop (winme) w/dazzle 6-in-1 reader and laptop (winxp) with Sandisk PC card(s). Both smartmedia and compact flash give no problems in camera or in readers. All media is Sandisk brand.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:53 AM   #3
Default Don't reformat in the reader

Don't reformat in the reader. Reformat only in your camera. The computer sometimes formats differently than the camera. Try reformating the card in your camera and see if that works.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:58 AM   #4

I agree. Never use a PC to write to your media. This can cause lots of problems (different FAT type used, caching algorithms can delay writes, causing corruption, etc.).

I always format my media with the camera, after every use. It's just as fast as erasing the files, and insures that I'm always starting out with a fresh File Allocation Table.

Depending on your operating system, Sandisk may have newer, updated drivers available for your reader, too.

Check this page for drivers:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:06 AM   #5

opps sorry about the slow reply, the e-mail notification was turned off = (

it's for both my laptop and desktop
one's running win xp one's running winme
the new card is a sandisk 256MB compact flash

acutally i've never installed a driver for this flash reader and afterchecking the site it says to use winxp's supplied driver,
i've tried this reader with other brands and other sizes of card,

the card is formated inside my camera and i guess the problem is i can't transfer the pictures to my computer unless i use the usb cable connected to my camera,

they're both sandisk products (my 128 sandisk works, 256 doesn't = ( )

heh, just a little bit annoying, since i can't figure it out, acutally i've tried my 256 on my frend's reader no problems there, (wild guess, but could it be a virus making my comptuer not detect the card?)

the green light is on so it's properly inserted, as for now i'll stick with the cable connected directly to my camera,

but thanks for the input if you guys come up with anything else i could try it would be apperciated

(now just have to figure out how to take pictures of me playing roller hockey, haven't been too successful yet..)
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:20 AM   #6

You may need to upgrade your operating system with the latest Service Pack - especially if your PC uses USB 2.0 ports.

Win XP did have a problem with the original USB drivers, that the service packs corrected. Here is the link:

Also, you could have a bad (or early production) reader with compatibility problems. If the Service Pack does not correct the problem, I'd send it in for a warranty replacement.

As far as viruses, it's unlikely. However, you should make sure you have 3 products on your PC for protection (virus protection, adware/spyware, firewall).

Chances are, you have LOTS of adware/spyware, as well as viruses on your PC, if you don't have similiar products installed.

See this post about 3 free products for PC security. I would not consider running a PC without them:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 8:55 AM   #7

Hello, thanks for the info,
I have all 3 things installed, (firewall, ad/spyware remover, antivirus)

my computer has the USB 1.0 ports only and I've downloaded and upgraded to the SP1,
hmm might just be a defective product then =( but i purchased it a while ago, so i'll guess my last option is to look into another reader

thx for the info and help
Old Dec 14, 2003, 4:50 PM   #8
Default Same Problem here

I have the exact same problem here, I bought a Sandisk SDDR-75 Compactflash reader and a Sandisk 256Mb Ultra CF , and I cant get them to work together in WinXP (latest drivers and updates, SP1). I also bought another Sandisk 128Mb CF thinking that maybe the 256Mb was faulty.. As absurd as it may sound this two SANDISK products dont work at all together. After a month of frustration I gave up and bought a simpletech reader and have been happy ever since.

unax_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 6:16 PM   #9

I've had two Sandisk CF readers and neither one worked with my CF card (Delkin Devices 512M). I'm beginning to wonder about the QC of this company. I won't bother buying any more products from them.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 2:04 AM   #10

Check out my posts regarding the Sandisk SDDR-75 readers and newer CF cards:

These "issues" are well known to Sandisk, and they will swap your card reader foe a newer 6in1 reader at no charge to you. THey did do it for me...

Snowdrggn is offline   Reply With Quote