Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:03 AM   #1
Default Point-n-Shoot ??

I own the Canon EOS-300D and my wife is looking around for a good quality 4-5MP point-n-shoot digicam that accepts add-on lenses and provides good low-light performance and realistic skin tones. What would you recommend? :?:
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2003, 12:28 PM   #2

You may want to check out the Sony DSC-V1. I'm not real thrilled with it's ergonomics (or Memory Sticks), but it does have the best low light focus capability around (with it's laser assisted "hologram" focus system), and can take add-on lenses and accessories.

It's also got the best noise characteristics compared to the other new 5MP compacts (Nikon Coolpix 5400, Canon G5, Olympus C-5050z).

See the reviews of these models at http://www.dpreview.com for details (noise graphs, resolution chart tests, flash tests with skin tone, etc.).

Here's the Sony review:

Another choice would be the Olympus C-5050z. It's quite simple to use, and has a very fast lens (F1.8/F2.6) -- great for existing light shooting. It is a slower camera than the Sony in the Autofocus Department (but it's still faster than most).

Again, see the tests in the dpreview.com review for how it compares. It can also take CompactFlash media (as well as Xd PictureCard and Smartmedia). BTW, Olympus has updated the firmware during production, and many users report both better performance and lag times with newer firmware (unfortunately no user installable updates ever come from Olympus, though). Noise profiles appear to be reasonably good (in contrast to Phil's findings with his early productin firmware) based on some of the photos I've seen, too. Here's the link:

Another model that can also use your CF media is the 4MP Canon G3 (lower noise and CA, compared to the newer 5MP Canon G5).

It's low light focus speed won't be as fast as the Sony or the Olympus, but it will take nice photos in most conditions (although CA can be a problem at wider apertures in high contrast shots, it's MUCH better than the newer G5 model). This model also has a fast (F2.0/F3.0) lens:

Here's it's review at dpreview.com:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote