Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:53 PM   #1
Default Cannon G5 VS Olympus 5060

I have finally narrowed my search to these two digital cameras. I would appreciate any advice on which one is the better buy. They both retail for around $699, same mp and zoom. They both also allow the connection of a telephoto lens.
gman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2003, 7:31 PM   #2

These are very different cameras from an optics perspective.

You must look at the focal range of the lens, not the 3x, 4x type ratings. 4x means that there is a 4x difference between the wide angle setting, and the full zoom setting.

The Olympus C-5060z is a relatively new model, designed for someone wanting a "wider" wide angle.

It has a focal range (in 35mm equivalent lengths) of 27mm - 110mm.

The Canon G5 has a focal range of 35mm - 140mm (not as wide at maximum wide angle setting, but longer at the maximum zoom setting).

Unfortunately, the new Olympus C-5060z is so new, that I have not been able to form an opinion. It's F2.8/F4.8 lens is not as fast (light gathering ability) as the Canon's F2.0/F3.0 lens (F2.0 is twice as bright as F2.8 ), so it would not be as good for existing light conditions (the Canon would allow you to use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same lighting conditons and ISO speed to help prevent blur).

However, I'm not a fan of the G5. It has higher Chromatic Aberrations (purple fringing) and noise (similiar to film grain), compared to the 4MP Canon G3.

As for both of them taking add-on lenses, you have to be careful there, too. When you try to use a teleconverter, when you use too high of a multiplier, you risk vignetting (darkening of corners) and other problems. Also, as I mentioned above, there is a big difference in the focal range of these two models.

If you need a very wide, wide angle, then the Olympus may be a good choice, but I haven't seen any photos from it to form an opinion yet.

You may want to see my response in a similiar forum thread (someone looking for a 4 or 5MP camera, with good low light focus, able to take add-on lenses and accessories).

I commented on the Sony DSC-V1, Olympus C-5050z (not the new C-5060z), and the Canon G3. I had both comments, and links to review tests. See this thread:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote