Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Default Good analytical primer

GnuBee+ here. Looking for well-crafted ladder to let me climb up to the first level of photography skill*. What have you read or used that you would recommend to someone who is a hybrid of geek, teacher, & pedant?

*Aperture/shutter speed/ISO/focal length/focussing/depth of field and how they relate to what image is produced by the camera from the space in front of it -- and how they are inter-related (what I think of as the mental space of taking pictures). I'm the kind of person who finds learning "when and how to use camera shooting modes" silly -- I want to learn what the modes set, and why they are set that way.
Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:06 AM   #2

There are lots of books on photography, some of which talk in general terms while others talk about those items in the context of a particular camera. If you have a camera already, one of the latter books might make it easier for you to understand and apply what the book talks about.

But, real quick:
  • Aperture - The amount of light that passes through the lens to get to the image sensor.
  • Shutter Speed - The amount of time the image sensor is exposed to light.
  • ISO - The sensitivity of the image sensor to light.
  • Focal length - A physical property of a lens that, together with the physical size of the image sensor, determines the angle of view.
  • Depth of field - The span of distances within which the scene is acceptably sharp, and outside of which the scene is out of focus.
P.S.: The links are all to articles in Wikipedia, where you can find a lot more information.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 25, 2009 at 6:22 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:41 AM   #3

Another good source, is the camera's manual, particularly those for SLR cameras. The information is often very condensed though. Manuals are downloadable from the various manufacturers, usually as PDFs.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:07 PM   #4

Thanks. Let me add to those suggestions this set of simple lessons I found on Panasonic's website. Imho, they are the most distilled, but still (almost) tack-sharp explanations I've come across.

Kriekira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 7:39 PM   #5

I am not sure but I think the other guys having this problem are doing the same.Just a thought but if you have replaced factory dip stick you may want to check the marks to see if there the same.Hope this helps.
koozies | great koozies | design koozies online
kimberly187 is offline   Reply With Quote