Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:42 PM   #1
Default what is 100%crop?

This is my first post in forum and i would like to add something for beginning. No i am not an expert but i will try to be one in time. The first question which i asked myself when i want to go deep on digital photography recently is this thead's title. I saw a lot of 100% crop images at this forum but i didn't know what to do with them. I was just looking them and said myself why people use that kind of cameras which take pictures like that and i realised that there must be something wrong with me so i made a search about it on different places and here are the results i hope this would help someone like me.

What is it? How can i get it?

Open an image on your computer with and image editor and don't change anything of image like size, resolution etc... After, just pick the crop tool from your editor and crop some area of image it doesn't matter to be specific size or resolution, just crop a piece of original picture and what you have is 100% crop.

Why they call it like that?

100% = Original size and resolution of image, not touched from fz38 to computer.
Crop = Geting a piece of image.

Why use?

You can't upload 8 MB image to net for showing the quality of image, instead of it we use 100%crop of an original image. The quality degree of you depends, you can look noise, sharpness on these 100%crops and so one.

Please add anything usefull about 100%crop here.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:57 PM   #2

Images posted here must be reduced to fit the screen (something like 640x480, 800x600 or so.) But reduced images are useless for evaluating problems, becasue the process of reducing them usually blends out the flaws. (See Why a resized photo is no use in showing camera quality )

A 100% crop is a portion of a full size image that is a size that is appropriate for posting here.. Fo rinstance, if you're having a lens problem, you can crop a 640 pixel by 480 pixel portion of an image that illustrates the problem, and post that instead of a reduced version of the full sized image where the probelem might not be visible.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote