Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 27, 2003, 6:53 PM   #1
Default Tiff RGB vs CMYK confusion. Please help.

Thanks to your answers and advice, I started using the RAW files (NEF) on my Nikon Coolpix 5700.

When I convert to TIFF, it asks RGB or CMYK.

Which TIFF should I use? and

What is the difference between RGB and CMYK?

I am mainly interested in prints that appear as close to 35mm as possible.

Thanks again. This forum has moved me along leap years, vs my usual, often error-ridden, method of "ask the camera salesman."
CNSCNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2003, 7:41 AM   #2

CYMK is usually used only for commercial printing like magazine setups. For anything you are likely to use RGB is preferable.

RGB is additive color. If you take three slide projectors; one with red, one with blue and one with green you will get white if you shine them onto the same screen. You are adding colors to make other colors. From red green and blue light you can make any color including white so they are called primary colors. The absence of any color in RGB gives black.

CYMK are subtractive colors. They subtract color from the paper, which is usually assumed to be white. They stand for cyan, magenta, yellow and black. If you put cyan, magenta and yellow on paper you end up with black. They are your subtractive primary colors in that you can end up with any color using combinations of the three. The lack of any color gives white in CYMK.

Printer drivers take RGB input and convert it to CYMK. Usually only commercial printing houses work with CYMK files directly.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote