Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 27, 2003, 8:25 PM   #1
Default Canon PowerShot S400 vs Sony DSC-P10

Planning on buying my first camera within the next month! I did have my heart set on the A80, but it's little too bulky and heavy (the 4 AA batteries really add A LOT of wieght!!). I bought it from BestBuy and returned it the next day!

Now, I'm debating the S400 and the DSC-P10....can anyone give any insight as to which one I should go for, and y?? I'm just an average user, but I am really into technology, and I would experiment with every feature that the camera comes with.

Any input would be appreciated!

Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:58 AM   #2

Between the S400 and P10, I would go with the Canon S400.

It's a nice little camera, and most users seem to be very pleased with theirs.

You may also want to consider the new Minolta G500 (Konica KD-510z).

I purchased and returned a P10 in July. I was not happy with it's ergonomics, metering, or indoor flash performance.

I then purchased a Konica Revio KD-510z, which I've been very pleased with. This is the same camera as the new Minolta DiMAGE G500 (marketed under the Konica label in Europe and Asia, and under the Minolta label in the U.S.).

BTW, I am aware of two users that have owned both the Canon S400 and Konica KD-510z (Minolta G500). They both prefer the Konica (faster startup, faster and more accurate indoor focus, better skin tones, better color tone).

I also know of a user that purchased a Sony DSC-P8 (almost identical to the P10, only 3 Megapixels instead of 5). He was also dissapointed in the Sony DSC-P8 indoor performance, and purchased the new Minolta G500. He is quite pleased with the Minolta.

BTW, I know of 3 Sony DSC-F7x7 cameras that now own the Minolta G500 (or Konica KD-510z). They are all happy with their Minolta G500/Konica KD-510z.

This is an attractive alternative in a pocket camera for owners of larger Sony models, since the G500 can use both Memory Stick (non-pro Memory Sticks) and Secure Digital media, and you can have both in the camera at the same time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote