Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:02 PM   #21

Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Are you talking about Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure book? I don't think he's meaning the light bouncing around literally (which causes ghosting as Brian pointed out), but rather figuratively to explain depth of field. He sometimes uses analogy to explain things (like his workers building houses to explain noise) and I thought that was his way of trying to explain it.
yep thats the book. Good to know.
HeavyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:56 PM   #22

Lens reviews are really useful, but the best way to really understand/get a feel for your particular lens is to go out and shoot a series of pictures at various focal lengths. Make sure the scene has depth to it and you aren't that far away from your subject - I've used a fence post occasionally. Mount the camera on a sturdy tripod (or other solid base), turn off all anti-shake, use low ISO and good light. Vary the aperture for each shot, make sure the focus is accurately on the post (or other subject). Doing it yourself in uncontrolled situations might not be scientific and won't give you the accurate, measurable results reviewers get, but it will give you an idea/feel for your particular copy of your particular lens, and that's far more practical/useful than reading what the reviewers have to say.

Most of my lenses tend to be less sharp after f11, at least with my current primary camera. The main exception is my macro lens, which is quite sharp up through f16 and not bad at f18 with a decent shutter speed (which is what one would expect). A couple are really sharp wide open, while others need to be stopped down about a stop or so. I've read (and very much enjoyed) several of Peterson's books, but I haven't had his success with using f22. On the other hand, if I'm doing wide angle landscapes, I can normally get what I want using f11, so its not a big deal.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:37 AM   #23

While I appreciate all the sophisticated discussion on this thread, when I look at the original image on my monitor, the tree branches at the right of the image look crisper than the windows in the background. I would worry about whether the image was focused properly before I started worrying about lens optics. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote