Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 6, 2003, 1:59 PM   #1
Default SD Card or CF Card

New guy here, take it easy on me.

Just bought my first digital camera, Kodak DX6340, I happened to be at Costco and there was a SanDisk 256mb CompactFlash card. so I bought it for the camera, now I'm confused if it will work in the camera or do I need an SD Card. The Useres manual says MMC/SD. If I do need an SD card any recommendations of brand. Thanks alot for the help, I'm sure it won't be the last question I have.
Bruce-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2003, 2:51 PM   #2

The CompactFlash Card will not work in your camera. Hopefully, you didn't open it (some vendors will not allow returns of memory cards that are not in their unopened packages).

There are many types of media available now: Secure Digital, MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, CompactFlash Type I, CompactFlash Type II, xD-Picturecard, Smartmedia, etc.

Your Kodak uses Secure Digital (although MMC will work, I would NOT recommend you try it). MMC is a fraction of the speed of Secure Digital.

As far as brands, Secure Digital (SD) was jointly developed by Panasonic, Toshiba and Sandisk. So, chances are, any other brand you buy, is really a "rebranded" card from one of these guys.

I would personally avoid Sandisk standard 256mb SD cards (and most other brands, too, since Sandisk may be their OEM supplier).

In my Konica KD-510z camera, they're not even considered compatible by Konica-Minolta. I've seen reports from other users of problems with their larger cards in other cameras too (HP, Minolta).

If you look at the USB 2.0 Card Reader tests on this site, you'll see that the Lexar 32x 256mb Secure Digital card tests around 5 times as fast as the Sandisk 256mb Secure Digital Card.

I'd personally stick to either Panasonic or Simpletech standard SD in 256mb or 512mb size (they are both rated at 10mb/second in this size -- smaller cards are slower)

Lexar's new 32x High Speed Secure Digital also appears to be this fast. Chances are, they are rebranded Pansonic (but I have no way to verify it).

In smaller sizes (128mb or less), most SD cards should be fine (but I'd avoid MMC).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 2:59 PM   #3
Default SD vs CF Card

Thanks alot Jim for your reply, I really appreciate the information. I did not open the package after I saw the MMC/SD card info and thought I might have a problem so I stopped.

Once again thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I trudge along.

Bruce-B is offline   Reply With Quote