Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 24, 2010, 1:30 PM   #1
Default taking pics in an auditorium far off?

Newbie here with a Canon Rebel XSi. I went to my son's preschool graduation yesterday. It was held in a school auditorium. The lights were off but the stage lights were on. I used my telephoto lens (with IS). I would have liked to have been able to zoom a little further since we were sitting pretty far back, but the problem was the pics weren't clear....and were a little dark. I adjusted them with Corel Paint Shop Pro PhotoX2, but they still don't look very clear. I know flash won't work that far off. What does one have to do to get good clear pics in that situation? Is it even possible without a professional setup?
tonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2010, 3:00 PM   #2

What setting did you use? From one amateur to another, you can try going to AV mode, then go into tools and set ISO to max, which I think is 1600 for that camera. You can then use the dial to open aperture to the max, and the camera will set the shutter speed. I have the same problem, if you do not have a lense with a f/2.0, it is hard. The only thing that helps is setting your ISO to max. I have a XT, which is the older version of yours, and with a canon 85mm 1.8 I get good results, but no zoom. hope this help
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 3:18 PM   #3

Tonya - one big issue you mentioned that is very important - even with your longest lens you were still too far away. You're not going to get good results when you're too far away. The answer is - you need to move closer. Even so, it's going to be tough going with an f5.6 lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 7:38 PM   #4

tonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 6:14 PM   #5
Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

We sometimes must decide between being a nice audience member, or a serious image grabber. The former sits in back and hopes. The latter finds good shooting position(s), studies the light, maybe brings an external flash, maybe uses a faster lens, etc.

I was in a similar situation recently, at a music show in a church. I was as nice as I could be -- I sat not too far back, right on the aisle, with a good view of the action. The serious lensers were in the front wings with tripods up; they (and others) used flash, but I stuck with available light. I'd taken my fastest lenses -- 50/1.4, 85/2, 135/2.5 -- and I used each for various fields-of-view, rather than zooming myself up and down the aisle. The manual 85/2 saw the most use.

Yes, I could have set myself in front with slower 35-135 or 70-200 zooms, or my 18-250 superzoom, and a flash -- but that would have wasted the stage lighting, unless I'd placed a wireless slave flash WITH the stage lights. If you can't control the lights, the best options are just faster lenses and higher ISO. Damn, reality is so relentless sometimes...
Too many film+digi cams+lenses, oh my -- Pentax K20D, ZX-M, M42's, P&S's, more
The opposite of LIBERAL is not CONSERVATIVE, but ENSLAVED.
RioRico is offline   Reply With Quote