Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 10, 2003, 7:01 AM   #1
Default Best Portable Digicam??

What would you recommend for someone (like myself) who is looking for a top-quality "portable" point-n-shoot digicam? Most of my pics will be people pics (family members) with some situations in low-light (e.g. restaurant, museum, etc...). I want something that will give realistic skin tones with an AF assist beam. My pics will be printed on a Canon i950 inkjet photo printer (mostly 4x6 but with the possibility of 8x10 for those "special / memorable moments". THANKS!
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:13 AM   #2

even i would like to know bout a sub-compact wid the best picture quality n same fotos of family n some low lite shootin
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:45 PM   #3

For real portability you canít beat the Pentax Optio S or preferably S4. It literally fits in an Altoids tin and takes good photos. It vignettes a little at full wide, but not badly enough that you would notice in most shots. Not the greatest for low light focus but not bad.

The Minolta G500 is a good buy. It has good low light focus but no holographic laser beam. It also has a good flash range.

If I were getting a pocket camera today it would be a Pentax Optio 555 with a 5X zoom. It is pricier than some others.

The only thing I know of that is almost pocketable with the laser holographic focus is the Sony V1. Dynamite camera but also pricey.

The small Sonys take 640 X 480 movies which are a lot better than the 320 X 240 movies on the others. The Sony P72, P92, P10 etc might be good choices but they donít have the laser focus.

All digitals have automatic or program modes that allow you to just point and shoot. I donít see much difference in performance between cameras with a regular focus assist beam and those without it. The Minolta G400 has a sophisticated focus system and might be a consideration, but it doesnít use a laser.

The Minolta Stylus 300 and 400 are basically point and shoot and weatherproof. I donít have problems with my cameras without weatherproofing and have taken pictures in light rain and regularly take them on my boat.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote