Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:31 AM   #1
Default how to upload from SD card

Hi Guys,

I've found this site on a search engine and hope you may be able to help, I have a bog standard nikon coolpix cam and recently when i turned it on it said the memory card had not been recognised, i've brought a new one but the problem i have is that all the pics i'd taken ( most from my sons 1st birthday party) are gone, i posted a thread to the i.t dept at my work asking if anyone knew how i could retrieve them and a guy emailed me asking what type of memory card i had and if it was SD i could upload them from my laptop, he didnt go into much detail, but on my laptop there is a place where it says SD and SC when i have put the memory card into the SD part it fits but nothing happens/registers ive searched in my computer for removable disk etc but nothings there can anyone help?
gemmaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:04 AM   #2

It's possible that the SD slot on your laptop is one of the older slots that doesn't work with the newer SDHC cards. Does your card have an SDHC logo as it appears on the SD Association website? If so, that would explain why it doesn't work in your laptop's card reader. If so, you'd need a seperate card reader that plugs into a USB port.

Either way, it's possible that your card is currupt an the laptop just won't see it, new card reader or not. Take a look at the topic Recovering Images or Video from Memory Cards
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 2, 2010 at 7:07 AM.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:34 AM   #3

Check the card if there are some dirt, make sure it is clean, also try it on other PC, so you can rule out the compatibility issue.
lllwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:31 AM   #4

Good suggestions above.
While the camera may not read the card, and may have compatability issues with the SD drive on the laptop, have you tried a direct read from the camera? May not work if camera not reading it, but connect the camera to the computer with the USB cable. Avoid Nikon Transfer, and use Windows Explorer (assuming using Windows). Keep your fingers crossed that Explorer recognizes it as a drive where can simply copy/paste. If not recognized, then will have to do the direct SD card read with a high capacity capable card reader. My older laptop would not read SDHC, but the new one - purchased last year - will. If you are not aware of the reader capacity, may want to go to the manufacturer's site, and usually in the support area will be documentation of your computer specs.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote