Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 12, 2003, 9:39 AM   #1
Default photo paper

I have a canon s400. Does it make any difference what brand or generic paper I use with my canon i960 printer?
flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:27 AM   #2

I recommend Redriver Ultra Gloss paper or Canon paper. You can order a paper sample from Redriver at this link

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:42 AM   #3

I have read good things about Redriver papers, but I would suggest sticking with the manufacturers papeer and ink to start with. There are a whole bunch of variables to deal with when printing - most importantly, getting the colors and brightness on your screen to match the print. It is a good idea to start out with as few variables as you can - a different paper is an additional variable. Try a few different papers from the manufacturer (gloss, matte, ...).

After you have got settled with the manufacturer's ink and paper, then try some others if you are going to be printing a fair amount. Unless you print a lot, the savings from using other papers might not pay off against the cost of experimenting.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 1:22 PM   #4
Default Hmmmmmm...

I took a look at the RedRiver paper link. Both of their prices for their 66# Polar Gloss & the Epson color ink cartgs are about $2-$3.00US higher than my local Office Depot (buying a compariable amount of Epson Premium Glossy paper...I just went yesterday).
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:28 PM   #5

Red River has sales. Even without sales their premium glossy is about half the price of Canon photo paper pro. They also have sizes and finishes not made by Canon. Several people at dpreview have reported good luck with their 66# Kondike which comes in gloss and satin Ė currently on sale for $20 for a hundred sheets of 8.5 X 11. I often use their UtraPro gloss and satin at $34 for 100 sheets of 8.5 X 11. I switched partly because the UltraPro comes in 13 X 38 sheets for panoramas and I have bought 13 inch rolls from them in the past. Since I was going to have to profile for the paper anyway and I wanted to practice on some 8.5 X 11 paper before doing large panoramas I just switched over.

You will get your best results on Canon pro paper, but it is pricey and limited. But it is hard to tell the difference between that and Red River UltraPro. If you use another paper do a search in the printer forum at www.dpreview.com for profiles for your printer and the paper. If you canít find it ask and maybe someone with good profiling software can give you one that works.

I refill with Inkjet Goodies ink, so I have to profile for the paper ink combination. If you donít want to profile stick with the Canon ink and paper like BillDrew says.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote