Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:58 PM   #1
Default Looking for info about CPL circular polarizer

Hi all! I'm new here and just bought my first DSLR, Olympus E500. I spend a lot of time outdoors kayaking and birding etc. What type, size do any of you use?

I don't understand the different "sizes"? that are available. Could someone please explain?

Thanks for reading!
artemisnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2010, 9:41 PM   #2

There's really only one type of circular polarizer, but there are many different manufacturers. They may use different materials and have different coatings on their filters, but they're all intended to do the same thing in the same way. There is a review of a bunch of them available here: http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article...roduction.html As far as the size goes, your camera's lenses are threaded to allow you to attach a filter in front of the lens. If you are lucky, all the lenses you would like to use a polarizing filter on will be threaded to the same size. In that case, you just buy that size. If the lenses are different sizes, you either buy multiple filters or get a step-up converter that allows you to use the large-size lens' filter on the smaller lens -- you screw the converter into the small lens, and then the filter onto the converter. The documentation for you lens will list the size filter it takes.

Last edited by tclune; Aug 1, 2010 at 6:16 AM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3

Somewhere on the lens, usually underneath near the mount, is a number and a circle with a slash through it (diameter symbol). This indicates the diameter in millimeters of the filter ring of the lens.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote