Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:59 AM   #1
Default What motivates a great photographer?

I guess everyone has some inner motivation, I would like to know what yours is. Where does that deep down drive come from? You know, that drive that makes you take pics when you are depressed, or so tired that you just want to quit. Perhaps it is the artist in you, or maybe you have been trained by some navy seals or something. Is it a natural phenom or can it be aquired? I have intrest, but obviously little talent. Are people naturally born artistic or is it something I can learn?
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:54 AM   #2

Oh God...where to start ?

First of all, photography is really important to me...it helps me relax, kinda like yoga, it's my spiritual thing !
What I really enjoy shooting is nature scenes, landscapes etc...they evoke something I can't really express in words !
When I travel, I always feel inspired by something...a new city, mountain-chains, lakes, forests, fields, sea etc !

I've always had a fascination with this form of art, and since I got my first camera at the age of 13 (a Canon Prima-Super 130), I was totally hooked... With only 36 exposures per roll of film, I was forced to closely study composition in the camera’s frame and truly decide whether a shot was worth taking !

Talent is always a good thing to have, but I think it's more important to work hard, and allow your sensibility to influence what you're doing...
Sony α
Minolta AF 35-70mm f/4
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:11 AM   #3

First, let me say, I am not a great photographer. I do pretty well with the technical aspects, and enjoy challenges, so I guess that is what motivates me. I do it for fun, mostly, and when it stops being fun, I do something else for a while. If I made any significant portion of my income (or intended to) from photography, I would have to push myself harder.
Artistic talent is something I was born with a remarkable lack of, though I can appreciate the talent in others. Rules of composition can be learned, along with the technical aspects of photography. All that is required, to begin with, is the ability to see something that stikes you as needing to be photographed. Take the photo - ask for critique - learn from others. Repeat as needed. At some point, you will see something that takes your breath away, and photograph it, and the photo will take someone else's breath away.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:30 PM   #4

I agree with Brian, and probably am far superior to him in the lack of talent department.

In particular, I agree with:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
.. Repeat as needed. ...
That seems to be one of the main messages that you will find reading biographies of the great photographers. Practice, practice, practice, ... is the basis of getting really good at pretty much anything.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:11 PM   #5

A theme. If you have a theme you have a motivation.
Practice is (to me) secondary to finding your theme.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:10 AM   #6

Always looking for the greatest shot...lol...that keeps me going...when I take what I think is a great shot...I post it...folks say Wow! really nice shot LTZ470...then I go to this thread and realize how far I have to go and how many truly great "eyes" for photography are out there...it's never ending it seems they are absolutely awesome...then the beauty and composition of the photos, being able to see into the photographers mind that took the photo is also amazing...truly talented photographers and they are giving these lessons for free! Mark has a GREAT talent that is far beyond extraordinary and can help you with your skills...just ask him...

5 of the best - A showcase is back!!!!

The satisfaction of capturing a truly incredible moment in time, an insect, animal, family, sunset, sunrise, do all this while the weathers good then sit down in the cold days of winter and go back thru all the photo's and you will find yourself and the drive to continue...

Another thing that is important is the fun factor...love shooting the 7D it is a great camera and we have some nice glass to put on it...BUT for fun factor and no worries GRAB the FZ35, Macro Converter, and the Teleconverter and hit the trails biking or hiking and take a lightweight monopod or tripod...the quality of your photos will increase 80-100% by stabilizing your camera better and concentrating on your photo technique...TOO many people just point & shoot and while still getting an OK photo it would be twice as sharp if they had taken time to brace the camera and use a shooters breathing technique then pressing halfway for focus then GENTLY depressing the shutter button without shaking/moving the camera...decrease your NR -1 or -2 on your camera increase Sharpening +1 and Saturation +1...

Good luck and get a macro lens if you want to stay close to home as you can take macros of anything and this will help hone your skills also...thats what I do if I can't go far or don't have a lot of time...I have really enjoyed the Macro lens...

Last edited by LTZ470; Oct 22, 2010 at 1:20 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:59 PM   #7

Thank you everyone who gave their insights and ideas in response to the question. Thanks also for the informative links (which I will put to good use). The philosophy of motivation as stated here runs along the same guidelines.which shows how closely photorgaphers are related in this field. It is quite welcome and truly appreciated..Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote