Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:22 PM   #1

Default Picture Folder Naming structure. Best Practices? help

I am like lots of folks, have thousands of pictures, and massive amounts of folders, each with a name (yyyy-mm-dd) and this is so absurd that i am wondering what the easiest means of folder structure?

And, when i import from say Picasa, how do i then point this to new folder etc to keep the system going..thanks
jlm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:40 PM   #2

You have two choices:
  1. You can organize your photos yourself, or
  2. You can have a photo organizing program do it for you.
I use the "YYMMDD-Subject" folder naming convention myself, and at the end of each year, I put all those photos in a "YYYY" folder. So long as I know the "YY" and used an appropriate "Subject", I can find what I want pretty quickly.

I tried to use a program to organize my photos once. It put my photos in places where I couldn't find them unless I used the program. Since I wasn't sure I wanted to use a program (not just that program, but any program) I stopped using that program just because of that, and haven't tried another. In fact, I've had to jump through some significant hoops to keep the organizers (that came with various image editting apps I've tried) from doing me the favor of organizing my photos for me.

If you've got an image editting application that you've used for a while, and you like and trust it, and you don't like the folder idea, use the organizer that comes with it.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:44 PM   #3
Administrator

That's the way I do it, only without the dashes (I use yyyymmdd). I keep them under a photos folder like this:

/photos/20101023
/photos/20101024

That way, I'm using 8 character folder names with no punctuation (for better compatibility between different file systems). The yyyymmdd structure also allows you to sort by folder name and get a date sort.

Now, I do sometimes use subfolders under a given date with a better description. But, I tend to stick with the YYYYMMDD folder convention for the parent folders.

I'm not sure you mean by "import from say Picasa", as Picasa can use your existing folder structure.
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 6:29 PM   #4

I've been organizing everything by yyyymmdd-subject since i started using computers. (hierarchical structure so my top level is years) so naturally, i'm continuing to do that with photos. it works pretty well but as i get more and more, i'm beginning to wonder what about if i wanted to find a picture of someone special that i took a few years ago. if i wasn't sure when and where, it would be nigh impossible. so then i thought about tagging.

whew. just thinking about it is more than i want to do. people's names, activities, places...there's just too many things that i might want to search by in the future. and i know that i wouldn't keep the effort going even if i started.

so i'm continuing with year-month-day-event. being sure to use 2 digits for month and day so no matter what sort windows (or linux) wants to use in the future, they'll still sort the same way.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:39 PM   #5

I do something similar. I use something like this: Photos/2010/January/ 2010-01-01,
(tag). Special events may get their own folder as well.
Photo Explorer lets me browse the thumbnails quickly, and can also create albums, without moving the originals.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:46 AM   #6

I back all my photos up to DVDs and in earlier times CDs. So each folder get the exact name on the CD or DVD. I then use subfolders within that folder to keep different dates and subjects shorted. I always label a folder 01-01-10 then the subject. Each CD-DVD is usually generally 1 subject in nature. So if I am doing a disc with the Title of Fluvanna Schools it might have 10 or 12 sets of different photos each with its own folder-date-name. Such as 01-10-10 Stars and Stripes Basketball; 07-10-10 New Teachers Day etc. I tend to try to use as few discs as possible in my archive due to the amount of stuff I shoot on a regular basis. For thing such as Fire-Rescuce I add volume numbers to each disc Fire-Rescue 001; Fire-Rescue 002 etc and keep them in Chronological running order.

Then to make it even easier to find things I have an MS Word document that lists each Disc and all the subfolders on it and weather the disc is a CD, DVD or DL-DVD. That way if I know what I am looking for I can search that way for the subfolder names and or dates without having to go through disc after disc or hunt and peck on my external drive.

Works for me and I have around 300 discs total.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
I back all my photos up to DVDs and in earlier times CDs. So each folder get the exact name on the CD or DVD. I then use subfolders within that folder to keep different dates and subjects shorted. I always label a folder 01-01-10 then the subject. Each CD-DVD is usually generally 1 subject in nature. So if I am doing a disc with the Title of Fluvanna Schools it might have 10 or 12 sets of different photos each with its own folder-date-name. Such as 01-10-10 Stars and Stripes Basketball; 07-10-10 New Teachers Day etc. I tend to try to use as few discs as possible in my archive due to the amount of stuff I shoot on a regular basis. For thing such as Fire-Rescuce I add volume numbers to each disc Fire-Rescue 001; Fire-Rescue 002 etc and keep them in Chronological running order.

Then to make it even easier to find things I have an MS Word document that lists each Disc and all the subfolders on it and weather the disc is a CD, DVD or DL-DVD. That way if I know what I am looking for I can search that way for the subfolder names and or dates without having to go through disc after disc or hunt and peck on my external drive.

Works for me and I have around 300 discs total.

dave
Even a dual layer dvd times 300 only means 30 or so gigs of files. i could see backing up on cds when disks were expensive. but now...its too much work for little gain. external usb (and soon esata) drives are almost free and huge.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:48 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I use a slightly different file system. I file by genre then date and title. So I have a folder for weddings, portraits, sports (broken into the sport), wildlife, landscape etc etc. Then date system similar to everyone else.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote