Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

View Poll Results: Is a Canon A70 worth it?
yes 1 100.00%
no 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 24, 2003, 1:38 AM   #1
Default UGH, all these choices. Canon A70

Good morning all. First time post, so be nice

Ok. I have done ALOT of reasearch on camera's. Steve's DigiCams reviews has helped me A LOT. I almost bought a 100 cheap camera that the pictures it took, displayed on here, were terrible... Thanks Steve!!

Ok, now the problem. I am buying a camera for my mother. She has never had a digital camera but is obsessed with scanning and printing photos. 99% of her photos are family photos. She often prints in 8x10. I know that I should get a camera that is at least 3mp. Now here is my problem. I was 99% sure that I wanted the A70 for her until I read the complaints on here. I really dont want to get her a camera that will give her problems or take bad photos. I know I shouldn' t hold alot of wait to the overwhelming complaints about this camera because not everyone with a good experience posts. I'm trying to spend 300 or less on a camera. There are SO many options. All of the canon products I have bought have been great experiences but have yet to buy a digital camera of theirs.

If anyone can easy my mind about the A70 or recommend a camera for 300$ or less that I could check into, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not trying to find her a super professional camera with millions of features. Just something that has alot of bang for the buck in picture quality.

Thanks everyone!!
vcand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2003, 1:58 AM   #2

yes its quite a cool camera.
peter-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 5:53 AM   #3

I went through the very same process a few weeks ago and in the end I opted for the Minolta Dimage S414 - so far so good, cost about the same as the A-70, is 4 mp, and for my use it had better features.
hendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 3:57 PM   #4

I did the same as Hendo. Tried an A70, then an A80. Didn't have both in front of me at the same time but on pic quality got the S414.

However pic quality is not the issue with your mother - it's usability and I have to say the A70 is very nice in that department. I'm not knocking the S414 but here are the cons over the A70 I traded for image quality:

No built in lens cover, fiddly cap on the S414.
Rotating on/off selector can be accidentally switched on in bag - (but I've fixed mine so it doesn't)
Bigger lcd on S414 - great for older people like me to read, BUT very thirsty on batts so needs managing or use optical.
Auto flash on the S414 produces yellowish pics - but can be sorted using programme setting.
Heavier larger camera than A70. Not really handbag size.
No wrist strap - but then it's built heavy!
I suspected flash on A70 is stronger. Shortish range on S414 - but can be fixed a bit as the S414 EV is conservatively low.

So my vote would be on usability features NOT is it worth the money.

Happy new Year - VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote