Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Default Image data

I'm a complete noob, so bear with me.

Is there a way to find out what camera/lens/setting were used when you have an image on an SD or CF card?

I keep seeing people posting images with information such as:

Canon 7D, 10mm @ F9, 1/250s at ISO-100, -.3

Canon XTi, 270mm @ F9, 1/640s at ISO-400, -.3

Do people just remember this off the top of their head?
ZachOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:18 PM   #2

Any EXIF reader can see that information (it's embedded in the photos, unless a user's editor strips it out).

There are a number of EXIF viewers available that can act as internet browser addons, too.

I use more than one with Firefox (you can have more than one installed at the same time).

Exif Viewer by Alan Raskin and FxIF by Ted Mielczarek are both cross platform addons for Firefox (they work in Firefox, regardless of your operating system). But, note that only Alan Raskin's addon is compatible with newer Firefox versions.

An EXIF viewer with more Maker Notes information for many cameras is PhotoME (that's the one I use more often when reviewing photos posted here).

I use the latest Beta version (first download link on their downloads page). It's Windows only, but it also works in Wine under Linux if you install the GDI+ libraries mentioned on the download page:

If you install the Firefox addon mentioned on this page (after you install the main PhotoME application), you will see a new menu choice when you right click on an image in Firefox that lets you "Open using PhotoME". This only works with the Windows version of Firefox. With Linux, you'd need to install the Windows version of Firefox under Wine to get that menu option.

Opanda iEXIF is another popular EXIF reader that can work from a browser via addons available for IE and Firefox. It's Windows only. You have to install the main version for Windows Explorer and IE first, then install the Firefox addon (but, I no longer use it due to security warnings with newer versions of Firefox).

Many (if not most) image viewers and editors can also give you EXIF information if you download a photo and open it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:22 PM   #3

Dgital images contain that information within them. It is called "EXIF" data, and can be read using any of a number of programs. If you google for "exif reader," you will see many possibilities. I use one called "Opanda," which has a limited version (the one I use) available for free. You can right-click on an image and get the exif data as one of the options from that. NB: many programs strip the exif data out of images, so not all images will still have their exif data in them.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:54 PM   #4

Got it, thanks guys.

It's amazing something like this even exists.
ZachOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:02 PM   #5

You can also simply right click the image file and choose "Properties", then choose
the "Details" tab at the top and all the exif and other info will be displayed...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote