Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Dec 26, 2003, 11:24 AM   #1
Default advice about wildlife photos

Hello everybody, first of all Happy Xmas.
Im a new in photo world and my idea is to take pics from wildlife animals as if I were hunting with my camera.
So I think I need a camera with speed warm up, fast and quite focus, fast shoot and????
I have been reading in this forum and have a lot of information in my brain.
I would like to buy some good camera that let me improve it with tele lens and others gadgets.
Ok the range price 8) 600$
I have looked at Kodak DX 6490,Fuji s5000, Olympus c5050(no alot of zoom)
faca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2003, 1:58 PM   #2

Fuji s5000 + Olympus TCON-17 is a practical and affordable solution. The s5000 has the 380mm equivalent 10x zoom AND the highest usable ISO of cameras in that price range. IT also has extrmely useful final 5 precapture burst mode and the quickest AF in that class. You should be ablel to purchase a s5000 and TCON-17 online for about $450, that allows you $150 for accessories, memory card, whatever. I highly recommend you purchase a sturdy tripod for an equivalent 646mm focal length you will achieve with that combination. Expect to spend at min. $100 for a tripod that is sturdy enough.

WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 6:52 AM   #3

I recommend the new Panasonic FZ10 (4MP) I have the older FZ1 (2MP) camera, and haven't tested the FZ10, but it has 12x optical zoom with a stabilized lens! With the stabilized lens I take more hand-held shots than I do tripod shots! And for wildlife shots I'm sure that the 12x optical will come in handy!

Since you say you can spend $600, go for the FZ10. It's newer than the FZ1, it has better features, such as manual controls (the FZ1 is all automatic) and manual focus (the FZ1 is also automatic here). You can find the FZ10 for less than $599 but some places (including Ritz Camera, if you talk to the right person) has sold it for around $525.

I just looked on Shopping.com and saw it for as low as $519.

Shopping.com results for FZ10

I do not endorse any of the shops listed there (because I haven't used them) with the exception of B&H Photo (IMHO the best camera store on the planet). You have to be cautious of those $519 shops because they charge extra for shipping to make up the price difference!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote